Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have asked this before and never got an answer...but maybe someone knows now. if i could have a few chips at my side i would test it myself, but i don't have the money and time.

anyone...whats the stock initial timing of the zetec motor, and the spark advance at 3k. then the initial timing with diablo or superchip, and once again at 3k...i'm just trying to see how much timing is added into thede chips.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As a Superchips dealer, I can tell you that they will not give out the numbers that they use, but if you pay for custom programming and specify what you want, you can most anything. I have a few custom programs that add 15,25, and 40% more timing than stock, but that is only for JFA6,7,and 8 calibration codes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by spankenstein:
Couldn't use just use an OBD-II scanner and do a before and after test on the timing advance?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the question has to do with the base timing map value.

Actual timing has may variables resolved into it. Such as Load %, TPS value, TPS rate, IAT, ECT, etc. These conditions are modifiers to the base timing map and will affect the timing values that appear on the scanner.

If you could duplicate all of the conditions with and without the chip you would get a good idea.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Originally posted by Blue01Street:
TPS value, TPS rate, IAT, ECT, etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i gotta get down to basics first off..would you by any chance be able to let me know what those abbreviations stand for? Thanks alot. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i could use a scanner...as i have several next to me everyday...but as u see what blue01street said..heh

·
Registered
389 Posts
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

IAT = Intake Air Temperature

ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature

TPS is used by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to get the actual throttle plate position and the rate of movement. In other words, how fast or slow are you mashing your foot down on the accelerator and how far are you mashing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts