Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bent my inner tie rod (passenger side) and amtrying to replace it. The new one has flats machined into the ball joint on the rack and pinion, but the one on the car is smooth. I can see no roll pins or set screws. No problems on the wheel side. How do you R&R the inner tie rod?

UncleWeasel

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
you will need an air hammer. Remove the boot, from underneath the car air-hammer the old one off. Its a pain. Good luck,

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott!

I gave it a good try, but could not get it off. I borrowed an air-hammer with chisel bit. I got a pretty good notch cut into the top of the inside ball joint but it didn't budge. The air-hammer was an inexpensive unit and the compressor a bit samll. Do I need a bigger hammer? Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
486 Posts
The easiest way to get the inner tie rod off the rack & pinion is to use a pipe wrench around the ball joint housing and unscrew. Made the removal a breeze! The newer tie rod design now have slits where you can attach a crescent wrench so installing a new tie rod should be even easier.

I don't understand how an air chisel may help you since the tie rods are screwed in. Won't this method screw up the threads on the rack?
Maybe I'm not following.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The easiest way to get the inner tie rod off the rack & pinion is to use a pipe wrench around the ball joint housing and unscrew. Made the removal a breeze! The newer tie rod design now have slits where you can attach a crescent wrench so installing a new tie rod should be even easier.

I don't understand how an air chisel may help you since the tie rods are screwed in.
Maybe I'm not following.

Have you not ever chisseled out a bolt? same principle. Thats how I always change inner tie rods.

I'm not following how you get a pipe wrench or crescent wrench in there without droping the sub-frame

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Crank the steering all the way over. I've done it on 4 tie rods, one on the passenger side and 3 on the driver's side. The passenger side and one driver's side was on 1BadEgg's 02 ZX3. 2 more driver's side ones were on my 00 ZX3 (first one was bent, the next one had a failing ball joint due to PS Fluid contamination)

This is one of those hacks that I accidentally wrote up twice. Actually I imported the second one from a backup of the database pre-crash that I found a long while later. The first one listed here I re-wrote from memory after the server crash that wiped out all my hacks. Eeh whatever they both look similar. read. enjoy.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=29
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=72

·
Registered
486 Posts
Have you not ever chisseled out a bolt? same principle. Thats how I always change inner tie rods.

I'm not following how you get a pipe wrench or crescent wrench in there without droping the sub-frame
I've never had to chisel out a bolt with threads on. I've chiseled riveted bolts before. Do you mean using the air chisel sideways to get the unscrew motion started? If so, then it makes more sense. Anyways, it is tight in there by the ball joint, but I was able to get mine off with a pipe wrench just fine. Like Axon said, you will have to turn the steering all the way to one side to protrude the tie rod and have more clearance.

edited for spelling

and more

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

I've never had to chisel out a bolt with threads on. I've chiseled riveted bolts before. Do you mean using the air chisel sideways to get the unscrew motion started? If so, then it makes more sense.

exactly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did remove the tie rod with a pipe wrench. The air chisel method has some merit since the best shot at it is with the piston fully retracted and well supported. Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough, but it didn't work. A large pipe wrench didn't work either, but a small one took it right off. It would be a lot easier with the control arm or subframe removed - but it is possible.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Yah, you have to get the right sized pipe wrench in there. I have 5 or 6 of them in varying sizes between my place and my dad's toolbox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts