Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I finally got everything bolted on. the car started right up but idled rather rough after its self-test. I let it warm up for a bit and then took it out for a quick test drive around the block.

it seemed to run fine (no cel or any type of warning lights), but the second I pulled up to the garage, I smelled oil burning and it idled rougher. I immediately opened the hood and found a wee little bit of smoke coming from where it connects to the downpipe. then the oil light came on.

after turning the engine off, I found oil dripping in two places,
-first behind the block (I'm assuming my oil feed line plug wasn't tight enough).
-second, right below the turbo area.

sadly, I couldn't double check clearly because the gargage was closing and I had to leave.

like I said, I think I need to make sure the oil feed line is tight, but why would there be oil around the turbo? btw, after a few minutes, it stopped dripping, which means it only did it while the engine was on--as opposed to just a leak). I checked the oil feed line connection to the turbo and didn't find any leaks, so it was dripping from somewhere else.

what should I do about the rough idle and the oil problems?

btw, thanks in advanced for any tips you can give me!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the intake portion goes filter > pipe > MAF > turbo. could having the MAF so close to the turbo be the cause of the rough idling?

oil was obviously coming from the turbo, but I don't think it was from either the oil feed line or the return line, but everything looks really tight. do I need an oil restrictor? where can I get one?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
No oil restrictor. Was your turbo new or used?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I don't need an oil restrictor? then how do I check to make sure it doesn't spew oil from the turbo again. I made sure to bolt everything nice and tight, but obviously not well enough.

cleanzx3 mentioned there could be a vacuum leak, how do I check for that?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
doubt its a vacum leak but to check you can take a can of brake clean or carb clean and spray a little around all your vacum lines and connections. If the motor revs up you've got a leak. Did the leak stop or what?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the MAF being so close to the turbo, could that be the cause of the rough idling?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw, tom programmed my chip to turn on the fans earlier, but I still have the stock thermostat, that shouldn't cause any problems for the time being, right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, after making sure the oil feed plug was in nice and tight, the car started right up and drove fine, but idled a little rough and would shut off after a little while. I had to adjust the idling screw on the TB to a little above 1k rpm and now it idles fine, but it shouldn't be that high, right? while it does idle ok, it spikes up and down a little between 1k and 1100rpms.

I noticed a wee little bit of smoke coming from in between the exhaust housing and the downpipe...just a tad. I checked for leaks but didn't find any

the CEL light is on as well. the o2 sensor is unplugged, and the EGR sealed off (but the three little hoses are still dangling off the firewall).

Also, there's a lot more smoke coming from the exhaust and it smells like a car from the 60's. not knowing [censored] about cars, I'm assuming it's because I've removed the cat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
of course! first thing I did today was check the oil level. luckily, it didn't even have a chance to come on before I shut it off. I had already smelled oil burning, so I already had my hand on the key. right before I turned the key, I saw the light.

I sealed the feed line better today and then drove it and let it idled longer than yesterday. and the only thing I got was the CEL light (no o2 sensor), a bit of smoke (might need an oil restrictor, how do I know for sure?), and a bit of a rough idle.

we'll see how it does when I start driving it for real

·
Registered
712 Posts
Whew

As for the oil restrictor, I have my feed line off the oil presssure sensor ("T"). I didn't need a restrictor. However, the drain hole in the flange that bolted to the turbo was too small. The fitting welded to it was fine, but I had to bore out the hole, after that, no more smoke.

L8r

BJ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mmhh, so you're saying the return line plug might be too small and keeping the oil from flowing out freely? I might have to look into that. there's not supposed to be any oil in there while the car is off, right? so I can take off the return line and see how I can make it bigger without spilling oil all over the place.

well, I finally got to drive the car for about 15 minutes. it started great, here's what I noticed:

-it idled nicely and smoothly at about 1k then down to 900 rpms but still nice, smooth, and steady.
-it drove great and didn't make any weird noises.
-I pulled over after about 5 minutes and noticed a bit of smoke coming from around the exhaust housing, but all was still good.
-however, after driving on the highway at about 60mph for about 5 minutes, it would stall when slowing down and wouldn't idle at all. it dies the second I let go off the throttle

-and I still have the CEL which I'm hoping is only for the o2 sensor. could a ford dealer help me if I take it to them? I mean, how good are they with turbo setups?

I shouldn't drive around like that, I'll have to get a rental tomorrow.

Help please!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well dude,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems,
I realy can't help you because I havn't got that far yet,
but one thing the smoke from your exhaust cannot be good,
I would def. get that fixed, and find out why it's doing that, "it shouldn't"
and maybe just a piece of advice, when doing something like this to your car, make sure you have a back up, go pick a beater just get you to point a to b.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
Good Luck.
oh yeah I doubt Ford will touch it, but not sure, they will probably tell you to take it off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
oh, one more thing, if it was me I would try putting the O2 censor back in, I would think it would have something to do with your idle problem, usually when a O2 sensor goes bad, thats what happens,
But thats just my assumption, just trying to help you out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, I guess things took a turn for the better today

it had a hard time starting this morning which caused me to freak out for a second, but after regaining my composure, I knew it must have been a vacuum leak. sure enough, one of the pipes had come loose. so I make sure to bolt everything down really nice and tight.

it started right up and idled rather smoothly, even more so with the a/c on.

either way, this is how a focus should drive stock. the power isn't overwhelming, it revs up so smoothly.

it still produced a bit of oil smoke at first, but after driving for a few minutes, it stopped. so now that I spent the $12 to order an oil restrictor online, I guess I don't need it any more. oh well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts