Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Earlier this month I placed an order for a new shift boot from RedlineGoods immediately after seeing a fellow Mk3 owner had received his prototype and it fit. Mine finally arrived on Christmas Eve and this morning it was installed in my car. I figured I'd post a small review with a couple of pictures for those interested.

Of the many configuration options, I chose black Alcantara for an accent (inspired by the Taurus SHO's available Alcantara) with silver stitching to match my seats.

Piece: I was immediately impressed with the quality of the piece, upon opening the package. The Alcantara was in good condition, clean, and the stitching was tidy and even. The latter was particularly important as the highlighted stitches were the main reason for upgrading. +

Install: I had never personally installed a new shift boot before but knew how it was done. It took some patience to align the new boot so that the stitches were as evenly aligned with the corners as possible but it was only a matter of slowly working the boot around the plastic base and continually checking alignment before applying the glue. I did notice that the distance between the seams on the driver's side of the boot (that is to say the section pointing towards the driver's door) was a little closer than OEM, I had to pull the boot tight to get it to sit properly. +

Overall: Overall I am very happy. This is exactly what I was looking for and the stitching matches very well with that of my Sport seats. +!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I like the shift knob a lot. Looks good

·
Registered
389 Posts
That turned out great!! Now you need a matching parking brake boot.

I have the same interior and knob you do (BLOX torch blue), so it's nice to see exactly how the boot would look in mine. BTW, that weighted knob makes the Steeda short-shift bracket feel great.

EDIT: Geez, you would think that they would clean that MkIII Focus before they photographed it for the shift boot!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the shift knob a lot. Looks good
Thanks!

That turned out great!! Now you need a matching parking brake boot.

I have the same interior and knob you do (BLOX torch blue), so it's nice to see exactly how the boot would look in mine. BTW, that weighted knob makes the Steeda short-shift bracket feel great.

EDIT: Geez, you would think that they would clean that MkIII Focus before they photographed it for the shift boot!
Now I need to wait for them to add that to their catalogue. Maybe an armrest too...In any case I would like to have more, to match.

How do you like the bracket? I haven't heard any reviews on it, only the full kit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I love the bracket. It has huge bang for the buck! I wouldn't have it without the BLOX though--it has just enough weight to smooth it out nicely. With the weight, it feels very close to stock, with 35% shorter throw. It's not too notchy, not vague; just right.

IMO, the Steeda short throw bracket and rear swaybar are the best performance investments available for the MkIII. Both offer great improvement for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the bracket. It has huge bang for the buck! I wouldn't have it without the BLOX though--it has just enough weight to smooth it out nicely. With the weight, it feels very close to stock, with 35% shorter throw. It's not too notchy, not vague; just right.

IMO, the Steeda short throw bracket and rear swaybar are the best performance investments available for the MkIII. Both offer great improvement for a very reasonable price.
Glad to hear that it works so well with the Blox knob!

I have the rear sway bar which I am happy with, though our climate seems to make it go through grease frequently.

I'm keeping the STS or bracket in mind though I'll admit to being hesitant to mess with the stock shifter too much. In my opinion it's the best-feeling standard I've ever driven. :)

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I have the rear sway bar which I am happy with, though our climate seems to make it go through grease frequently.
Jacks Formula 327 lube is what you need. Designed to lubricate while being submerged in a constant stream of chlorinated water. Urethane compatible and works better than anything else I have used.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm keeping the STS or bracket in mind though I'll admit to being hesitant to mess with the stock shifter too much. In my opinion it's the best-feeling standard I've ever driven. :)
I felt exactly the same way. I loved the stock feel, but just wanted the throws a bit shorter. I installed the bracket by itself and wasn't pleased--effort went up noticeably. The weighted knob brought the stock magic right back for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jacks Formula 327 lube is what you need. Designed to lubricate while being submerged in a constant stream of chlorinated water. Urethane compatible and works better than anything else I have used.
Thanks for the tip. My bushings are squeaking on cold mornings--I'll have to try this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts