Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing crower stage II cams on a 2.3 going into a lotus 7 kit. These cams require new springs and retainers, do I have to remove the head to do change the springs and retainers, or can it be done with the head still on the block?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You can do it with the head on the block, but i'm not quite sure how.

People have done it though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
you can change them while the head is still on but you need some special tools to hook a compressor into the spark plug holes. so that when you remove the spring and retainer the vavle doesn't drop into the cylinder.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes Millertyme is right

·
Registered
545 Posts
most compression kits will come with a fitting that hooks up to the 2 main types of air couplers used by auto shops. that and the thread-in hoses would hold the valve in while you work on the springs/etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another cam question. Would it be worth installing stage III cams on a 2.3 engine with stock pistons or 9.7:1 compression or should I stick with stage II cams? This car will be used primarily as a recreational driver as well as occaisional track and autox not a daily driver though.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
you can't run 3's, safely, on stock pistons due to the increased lift.

You needs pistons with larger valve reliefs.

Crane 2's are plenty big for virtually everyone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
stage 2's aren't overdoing it for just a bolt-on daily driver are they. Or would I be better off with stg 1?

For a daily driver that only has bolt on's you will only want stage 1. Stage 2 is when you start working more into the motor. Also I see your from Oregon, drop a post in the Northwest forum and say hi!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have stg2's in my car, there is nothing wrong with having them in a daily driver. It is a little lopey, but it drives fine.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
If you set the idle at 1k would that completely smooth-out the lope of either stg 1's or 2's?

If not, how high would you have to set the idle to make the lope disappear on stg 2's?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
wherever you set idle you will be able to hear that it has cams.

Right now my idle is set at about 900, it does vibrate and shake some at idle at a stop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same as mine, 900 idle, lop lop lop at every stoplight. I also have the pleasure of feeling the idle because there is no padding in my seat. Get the stage 2 and you won't regret it. Just be ready to spend the money for tuning and better springs and retainers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Any word yet on the cam installation instructions? I'm getting impatient on installing these, I got the stage 1's with the SCT tune to go with them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You can also put the piston all the way down and stuff a shoe lace down there and then turn the crank to put it at tdc. That method works alot better then it sounds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts