Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Isn't your Pacesetter a shorty header? If it is, why do you have to get under the car to change it?

Or, does Pacesetter make a race header now?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's easier to get at some of the hard-to-reach bolts from underneath, like the bottom one by the alternator...but's it's not necessary.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Installing is fairly easy. Now the removing of the stock one is another story.
It helps if you could crawl under the car to get to the bottom bolts.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
it doesnt sound like someone has mentioned the obvious....take the cat completely out....in theory you could pull the header out from the top w/o removing the cat. I took mine out from the bottom and removed the cat....as the JBA instructions say....but i guess if wanted to try you could up it out from the top....but it would be hard.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
TRUST ME! Take out the cat! It will make the install 100 times better!

Oh, and taking the stock manifold off is VERY EASY!! Putting the pacesetter on is not! The one I installed did not fit right at all!

Also, I dunno what Seawolf is talking about, but the Alternator is at the back passenger side of the engine, no where near the Exhaust manifold!

You need to jack the car up to do this. If you don't remove the cat, there is one bolt that you can't get to. Also, be carefull, the bolts that hold the cat to the manifold are WEAK!! They can snap easy when tightening!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You can get jack stands for around $20 for a set. Good investment IMO.

You have to unboldt the Cat from the mid and bottom mounts to make room to take out the stock shorty and put in the aftermarket shorty. The Cat may not have to completely come off but it does need to be loose enough to move around...

[ 10-03-2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: S. on Da 5 ]

·
Registered
362 Posts
Trust us...TAKE THE CAT OUT!!!!! Some tools that are a Godsend:

GO to Sears and get:
10mm and 13mm racheting wrenches, they look like a closed end wrench but the inside is a ratchet. I used these to get the bottom bolts on the header.

Socket extensions. I used a 10 inch and a 4 inch the most.

Flexible socket extensions. These make it easier to get tight spots. Like the bolt on the bottom all the way to the left, y'all know which one I'm talking about too

Deep dish metric sockets.

A 10 inch "Clench wrench", that is what it is called. It make undoing the EGR tube an absolute breeze

From left to right:
ratchet wrenches, socket extensions, bendable extension, deep dish sockets, the Clench Wrench.

[ 10-03-2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: papasmurfZX3 ]

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
YEAH! Ratcheting wrenches are AWESOME!!!

The EGR tube is 27mm i have a big 27mm open ended wrench. I found it easier to loosen it from underneath but either way.

And remove the EGR bolt BEFORE loosening anything else!

·
Registered
328 Posts
i've tried loosening the egr tube and there is no room for me to get my 27mm wrench enough of a turn to complete it for a second turn, what can i do or how have you all done your cat removal?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Originally posted by narcolepsy123456:
i've tried loosening the egr tube and there is no room for me to get my 27mm wrench enough of a turn to complete it for a second turn, what can i do or how have you all done your cat removal?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">See my post above...it comes off so easy with the Clench wrench

·
Registered
328 Posts
yep, got it, thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts