Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have the OBX 4-2-1 headers, what do I need, both in respects to tools and parts to complete this job, and does someone have a DIY guide somewhere I can follow? Also I am going to use the stock gasket just give her a quick clean and scrub.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
This is a how-to for the JBA shorty header, but the idea is still roughly the same; the only difference is that your new 4-2-1 header will replace both the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter, so you'll need an O2 sensor socket and other assorted wrenches/sockets. I can't recall exactly what sizes you'll need for each bolt, but if you've got a set of metric wrenches and sockets from 10mm up to 19mm you are more than good. If you'll be in a garage with an air gun you'll be in even better shape, because I know I had to employ one to get some of those rusted exhaust bolts loose. Remember: jackstands are your friend!

·
Registered
786 Posts
10mm, 13mm, 14mm and 15mm deep sockets, or wrenches, your choice. Vise grip for the egr tube nut. Finger tighten that nut back on when you're done.

If you use sockets, have a few extensions and one of those elbow attachments that lets you pivot and whatnot(totally forget what they're called).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey guys quick question, Do u know where can i buy gaskets for the header, I'll be getting FC 4-2-1 used, and they don't con w/gaskets, I don't want to use the stock ones. ThankS!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im loving my headers, it doesnt give off the high raspy honda sound that i was expecting, gives off a nice tuned car sound...mmmpH!!! and as for the gasket, one of our sponsor focus sport sells them but they do not list them on the site you could call them and order it from them

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
you can also get the gasket from the Ford dealership, its about $10-$12. You might have to go to a few dealerships to find it though. You will also need the gasket that between the bottom of the header and the Flex pipe, you can get those from ford too, but it will probably be cheaper from any parts store.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I put on my headers over the weekend... wow what a pain it was. Everything went fine until it came to the EGR tube, we didn't have the right tool to get at it, from top or bottom. we finally got the pig off and the rest was a cake walk. The EGR tube or the bung on the header were off so the tube needed some loving to get the right angle.

I have some questions now though, when I punch it I get some seriously nasty buzzzzzing from the ass end so I think the muffler is shot. It could also just be a leak or heat shield etc... it tends to go away after a while of driving.

Secondly, do I have to unplug the battery to reset the computer in order for it to relearn itself or will it do that anyways eventually.

lastly will not having an MIL eliminator make me lose power cause the computer is trying to compensate for shotty emissions??

thanks all

·
Registered
993 Posts
bump

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
screw the EGR...
so I didn't need to hook it back up?.. getting it on wasn;t hard, taking that pig off was oh well, what would not hooking that EG tube up affect my car? with out any chip to turn that system off?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
screw the EGR...
so I didn't need to hook it back up?.. getting it on wasn;t hard, taking that pig off was oh well, what would not hooking that EG tube up affect my car? with out any chip to turn that system off?
I would suggest not. Its too much effort for it. Get the M22x1.5 bolt... throw it in there real good and have a chip permanently remove the EGR system.

Enjoy your EGR Freedom!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I think it's actually the resonator, I remember hearing it while I was still stock, just a whole lot quieter. On the weekend I will take a better look and see what is up. A cat back setup is in the works cause you can't just have headers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts