Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going? Im getting my Focus Central pulleys tommorow and need to get them on by friday around 7pm for the track. I wanted to know how do u get the pullys off and what tools do u need...impact wrench?...etc. How long should this take? And is there enough clearence to get the pulleys off without lifting the engine a little? could anybody do a quick step by step for me real quick. or is there one out there? Thanks a lot!

P.S. I have a 3 piece set

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
First rule of mods for track days.... DON'T DO THEM THE DAY BEFORE! You risk EVERYTHING by hurrying to get it done in time, you get sloppy and you make things worse.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the two piece kit. Installation is a BREEZE! First, jack up the car and remove the dust cover which covers the pulleys. Locate the underdrive pulley (the pulley directly connected to the engine) and find a socket to fit the bolt holding the pulley on. You'll need a larger wrench to get more leverage since the bolt is on there fairly tight. You'll need a brake to hold in the brake with the car in a high gear as you loosen the pulley bolt. If you don't have a friend, then be creative in finding a way to hold the brake down with something (I used my toolbox and a jackstand). Then loosen the three water pump pulley bolts and I suppose the alternator pulley bolt since you have a three piece kit. After the bolts are loosened, then you can take the belt off using the belt tensioner. To do this, locate the tensioner pulley (the pulley directly below the alternator pulley). Put a large wrench on the belt tensioner pulley bolt and rotate it towards the rear of the car with one hand while you slip off the belt with the other hand. After you take the belt off, you can let go of the belt tensioner pulley bolt and let it spring back to its original position. Next, fully loosen the bolts of all the pulley bolts and simply slip the pulleys off. They might stick a little, just give them a good yank. The crankshaft pulley needs to be installed so the woodruff keys (notch) lines up. The water pump pulley is a little tricky to manouver up into place, so take your time. After the pulleys are installed hand tighten all the bolts and then replace the belt using the same meathod you did to take it off. After the belt is installed, you can tighten the bolts up to the specified torque as long as someone or something is holding the brake in again to prevent the pulleys from moving on you. Hope this helps you.

Torque Specs:
Crankshaft pulley bolt: 85 Ft. Lbs.
Water pump pulley bolts: 18 Ft. Lbs.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts