Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure exactly where to put this thread, but I'll try here.

My Focus was totaled the other week. It was the other party's fault, so their insurance is covering it. I won't name the company for now, but they're kind of trying to give us the shaft. They say they'll give us the car's NADA (I think that's right) value. Well, we get almost $11,000 when we look it up, but they're only offering 9,000 something. We've got them to 10,000 something, but still not the right amount yet? Plus, they originally said if we gave them receipts for all aftermarket items related to the vehicle, we'd get reimbursed for those too. Now they're saying they don't do that. All in all, it's an extremely frustrating situation. Plus, Saturday I graduate from college, and the following Saturday I get married and of course go on my honeymoon. Talk about bad timing! I need some advice. Can someone please help me?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Have your insurance company deal with them.... don't let them give you any crap. Find ads of cars in the paper that are in the same condition as yours that back up your claim for $11K... and don't settle for less!

if it comes down to it... you might wanna go to the doctor... I think you just got a weird pain in your neck....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the whole insurance fraud fake injury thing is out of the question. I guess bringing my insurance company into it could be a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
yeah call your insurance company tell them the mods you hve how much they cost and they will takem to the cleaners for you that is what they are there to do is fight for you in these type of situations...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I worked on the finance side of it and insurance companies generally paid what they determined to be the Actual Cash Value of the vehicle and got the title released to them by the lienholder.

And they would only send the check once they receive a Letter of Guarantee from the lienholder stating the title will be released once $x.xx has been received.

Most of the time, the ACV will not be enough to pay the note off...so the customer is stuck with the balance...but it will be unsecured since there's no collateral.

I suggest getting a lawyer involved...your insurance company has no real incentive to fight for you.

...just my experience

p.s. If you have a good rapport with your insurance agent...then he may be able to help.

[ 04-30-2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: sabasigh ]

·
Registered
173 Posts
this is absolutely normal for insurance companies to try and screw you. Don't let them give you crap, they tried to give me crap (probably because im 18 and thought i'd take the 50% my fault crap) which i bitched them out for. If you bring up valid points, alot of the time they'll back down. One point was that when my accident happened, i needed a rental for like 3 weeks. on paper, it said 6 days i would need a rental and they tried to get me to pay the other 15 days. i was like "do you think i got a check the day i got into the accident?!? i had to wait two weeks to get a check!!!". if worse comes to worse, get a lawyer and sue them for the money they owe plus your lawyers fees. they'll pay out of the ass for their lawyer and yours. maybe if you tell them this, they'll think twice. maybe not though. they're stupid alot of the times

1 - 6 of 6 Posts