Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How effecitve is it or would it be instead of getting a ram air intake than just to take the intake box and remove it and put a cone air filter on the end of the tube.. Has anyone done this is is just the same gains as a regular ram air alot less or what any info would be appreciated...

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's what a lot of us call a hot air intake. It's as good an idea in my mind as the short rams (AEM, Volant, etc). But if you want the best power gains i'd say the my luck has been with the AEM CAI.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've done that. Don't have comparision numbers to compare the differences in HP between a CAI and just adding the filter. People would argue that with just a filter, you are sucking warm air. I'm not convinced though...... Also I'm not going to pay $200 for a CAI. BTW the K&N P/N is RU-2710. Approx $40 from Summit.

[ 09-17-2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: FocusBoy ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
That's what a lot of us call a hot air intake. It's as good an idea in my mind as the short rams (AEM, Volant, etc). But if you want the best power gains i'd say the my luck has been with the AEM CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since when is the Volant a short ram?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you don't want to pay $200+ dollar, you can just add a cone. It work, it will rev a bit faster. But in a hot summer day and ur in traffic, ur car will lost power, BIG TIME. Thats why I replace mine for iceman.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I had that very setup for a few months, I noticed it bogged slightly from a standing start (I don't drag race so I didn't care). It really pulled hard after about 3000rpms all the way up to 6000rpm. I now have an AEM CAI and all it did was give back some bottom end and make it pull more smoothly all the way through the rpm range, no more surge of power at 3k. For the price I can't see any reason not to do it. I only went with the AEM for the CARB # and because I got a great deal.

I also fab'd a heatshield of sheet aluminum the attached to the bottom of the stock airbox.

This setup and a custom flowmaster catback was good for 115whp/120torque

[ 09-17-2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by FocusBoy:
Don't have comparision numbers to compare the differences.. Also I'm not going to pay $200 for a CAI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would consider the 200 dollars if you want the power,in my focus i had just the filter and,changed to the aem cai, i went from runnig 16.3 at the track to running 15.9, both consistanly so that is proof enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts