Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a similar deal on my car with a cold air intake. i have filed for a patent on it. it is made for an rs bumper or the Scoop that i built.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It's a good idea for bringing in colder air, but there will not be any noticable forced air effect. You'd need a large hood mounted or side mounted scoop to get that effect and even then you'd be lucky to see any extra hp from it.

Should be nice though, good idea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know someone in the UK who tried that a few weeks ago...

Getting a cold air feed into a Focus is very difficult. For us UK peeps with PiperCross Viper filters it's a nightmare...
The best option is to buy a set of quad headlamps (eg Hella). This gives you a lot more room behind them. You can then go down behind the light and connect the pipe to air vent in teh Focus Coillection front bumper (the one withthe round fogs in) or you can go behind the light and through the gap to the top grill (what I have done). I noticed no significant difference either way.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
SVT Bumper + AEM = same thing you're doing

The AEM intake filter is right behind the foglight. I removed it and it's completely exposed.

[ 12-16-2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think we are all forgetting something, none of these designs are true "ram air". For ram air to take place you need a forced air type runner air box with internal flapper valves to create the pressure to open and close on demannd kind of like a 4-barrell carb. The modern street bikes use this design along with exhaust scavenging valve technology to trick the engine into thinking the header runners are longer then they are, in conjunction with a flapper valve true "ram air" air box, these small 750cc engine put out in modded form 122 whp! That was what my zx7r was putting out! and sub 400 lbs! sick!

[ 12-17-2002, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: ZEKETRX ]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thats kind of like my custom intake-I have the volant with a sealed top, small opening at the bottom of the box sealed and a 3 1/4" hose run behind the headlight down into the fender. This kind of air intake is good for bringing in cool air but for a ram air effect you need a large scoop facing into the air like one of those shaker hoods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts