Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the difficulty of an Intake Mani swap... to the early 2000. Are there any special tools needed? Can it be done in a regular garage, with regular tools, and a jack and stands?

Thanks.

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
I did it in my garage with regular hand tools. I got to all the bolts from up top, but you can get to a couple from the bottom if you so desire. It's not too bad of a job, I was surprised considering some of the things I heard about it. I did have to use various extentions and u-joints, but not too hard at all, just be patient.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha.

Time of install? Rate of difficulty... compared to an exhaust manifold (I've installed a race header)?

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
It is a pain. I have a 2000 ZX3
and already had the early manifiold.
When I got my TB I decided to remove the whole
thing to port match all of the runners along with
the TB opening.
It was done in a garage with regular hand tools.
Be patient and remeber to pay attention
to what your removing and where it goes when its time to put it back together.
It can be done in a matter of a couple of hours
depending on your skill level.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
biggest thing i can say is take ur time, but if ur in cold weather like most of us, run the engine 4 a lil while 2 get everything warm. workin on cold plastic is tricky and if not careful bad news. warm it all up 4 the plastic 2 have some give 2 it. same w/puttin the new 1 on, if u can warm it up somehow or in a heated garage, things will b smoother and u dont have 2 worry bout those fuel rail bolt mounting bosses snapping off.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
400 Posts
KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. It took us about 12 hours in a garage with normal hand tools, but we were installing the throttle body and fitting a Pro-M to my Volant, which took some time in it's own right. My only previous experience was with my exhuast/intake and headers install, but my Uncle is an experienced mechanic and was quite helpful. Now that I know what I'm doing, would maybe take four or five hours at an easy pace.

We had some trouble with the following:

1. The fuel rail has a few bolts, then you just pop the injectors out. We were hesitant, but with a little tug, they'll come.

2. One of the vaccuum line holes on the back of the 2000 intake needs to be plugged for install on (at least 2002) Foci.

3. On the bottom of the old intake, drivers side, there's a plastic tube that just pulls out and pushes back in the new one. It took us awhile of playing with the connection to realize there was no screwing involved.

Other than that -- was pretty straightforward. Nice gains

You also might wanna look into the new Ford Racing intake CTZX3 has modified for our enginges....looks pretty nice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts