Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2001 ZX3 for a little over a year now, and the "new" is finally starting to wear off for me. I'm wanting to get a new intake for it, but can't decide which one. I was hoping to get some opinions as to which would be best for me. I'm specifically looking at the AEM CAI, the Volant, and the Iceman...leaning toward the Iceman though I can't really say why. Of these, which would be best for a guy who is just looking for a little more punch in the throttle, and maybe a little better fuel economy?

And which is better: Cone filter or panel filter?
I'm also thinking of doing the FC UDP kit in the near future and the SVT spring swap.

The car is my daily driver and I'm really just wanting to make it more responsive and fun to drive...did I say that already?...any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the JET!!!

Um let me see, I'd go with the Volant if I were you but my opinion may be a bit bias since I have a volant already!!!
It's a great system and you won't even know you got it till you punch the the throttle a bit. If you're not into driving "hard" you'll hardly notice it. Though you'll know it's there when you have to accelerate and at freeway speeds. Not a bad sound either... A really nice and aggressive sound. Really wakes up the Zetec!

Um...the power difference in a AEM Cold air Compared to the Volant is Hardly noticable...Within 1.5 horses or so...Though you would notice a difference between an iceman and Aem Cold air...

Panel vs cone... I don't really know it I'd say its arguable. Personal prefrence: Cone! Call Tony at New Edge...He's a great help and should be able to tell you much more about all the intakes
Hope this helps

[ 09-18-2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: RicanStyleZX3 ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd say go with the best. AEM is the biggest name in intakes, and makes the best product. A cone filter is regarded as being better than a panel, due to the fact that a cone fits the end of a pipe better than a flat panel. I gained a lot of top end and throttle response from mine. I've owned 3 of these myself and will always trust AEM to make a part that: fits the best, performs the best, and lasts the longest.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
hey bungpei, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not looking to make a race car, just make what I got sportier. I've got the SVT spring with my otherwise stock S2 susp. an AEM CAI and a custom catback. My car feels like a different car compared to my wifes stock ZTS. For a daily driver the intake and catback are great. I've got more punch when I want it and for cruising to work I get better gas mileage.

As for which intake? Well I got AEM purely for the CARB exemtion #, since you're not in CA you could go with any intake that floats your boat. They are all so close in performance that unless you are racing you'ld never be able to tell much difference. Heck even just putting a cone filter on the end of my stock MAFS was an improvment over stock.

·
Registered
369 Posts
IV had 2 AEM CAI's now, 1 on a Civic i had and 1 on my foci i now have. I have never had a Problem with them.. check out
www.no-limit-enterprises.com I had good luck with them! + Free Overnight shipin and a cost of 30-50 less than anywhere else iv seen
hope we helped!
Welcome to the JET

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Ice-Man and I love it....nice performance increase and easily installed!!!!

You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
143 Posts
welcome to the jet

Unlike most people i use the kkm true-rev, however i have customized it a bit. its a cone on a stick and sounds good. as for the udp go for it, its a great mod. go for an exhaust system too cough..cough..(magnaflow)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I say go with the iceman. Have four of them in my family and not a single problem. All have nice performance increases. Some people don't like it because it is plastic, but you have to remember that plastic doesn't get as hot as aluminum thus reducing the temp of the air being consumed.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
AEM is the biggest name in intakes, and makes the best product.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">im not saying aem is good or bad cause i dont know but another look on what you said is that APC is the biggest name in crap?!?!?!
also this is probably gona be a double post now, but an intake is a tube. and a tube is a tube so i would go with what ever cost's the best, and of course what other people recomend.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have used panel filter, cone on stock tube and now iceman. I will say if you want the sound, go for AEM and it will give u nice Highend power(but suck in the hot summer day). But for daily driving, go for iceman. You just can't beat the midrange tq it give you and it won't catch any attention.
I usually fill up my car every 550km, and it take 40-41L. After the iceman, it go down to 37-38L.

·
Registered
99 Posts
which is the easiest to install... and which sounds the best if the only other mod you will have for a while is just it by it self or an exhaust?

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are some pretty good How-To articles including streaming video clips on all 3, Iceman, MAC short intake, and the AEM CAI on the myFordFocus.com How-To Library, http://www.myfordfocus.com/howto.htm

I've had all 3 on my ZX3, for the money I like the short ram, approx. $135, good performance and the "most" sound, if sound is what you are looking for... Iceman, IMHO is not worth $200+. The AEM CAI is top of the line, but my 1/4 track times when I compared the MAC shorty vs. the AEM did not change anything that was noticable. I keep the AEM on the car for daily driving, because it's quieter than the MAC shorty, which keeps the wife quieter as well
When I race, the MAC goes back on.

[ 09-19-2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: myFordFocus.com ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
man, I gotta say, the Volant is the only way to go, you have the option of adding the SVT snorkel to it, adding the ICEMAN snorkel to it, making a custom add on for the side, and there's also the FC hood, all on top of performance that I would say easily tops the ICEMAN, easily beats the AEM in low end power, and definately rivals it in the top end, sure this is all butt dyno, but isnt that what counts???

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have the Iceman CAI w/add-on duct and strongly don't recommend it.

A friend of mine has a AEM CAI and...well...I recommend that!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Welcome to the jet

Check yer PM

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome to the Jet. My Volant will at the house today via UPS and have an SVT Snorkle that I am going to adapt to it. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by PGZX3:
man, I gotta say, the Volant is the only way to go, you have the option of adding the SVT snorkel to it, adding the ICEMAN snorkel to it, making a custom add on for the side, and there's also the FC hood, all on top of performance that I would say easily tops the ICEMAN, easily beats the AEM in low end power, and definately rivals it in the top end, sure this is all butt dyno, but isnt that what counts???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, the volant will work with the FC hood?...cuz i saw that the other day, and that thing is suh-wheet!...i'm not much for body mods, but that is the best lookin hood out there in my opinion.

It's interesting how everybody has differing opinions on each of these intakes. Thanks to all who've replied. I now think I'm leaning toward the Volant. It seems that everyone is really impressed with it. I'm not looking for sound really, so I'll probably pass on the AEM. The Iceman is the least expensive, but there are many people who don't think it's worth it.

That's what I've gotten so far anyway...Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Originally posted by bungpei:

I'm not looking for sound really, so I'll probably pass on the AEM.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you are not looking for sound, than the volant is the wrong way to go as well. It is a sweet intake, but I perosnally think that the volant is even louder than the AEM. At least that's how it sounded like. Iceman is the most quiet out of all 3. Either way...u won't go wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts