Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YA i searched. LOL but i couldnt find anything that said whether or not it would hurt anything to take the intake resonator off. Why the heck is it even there? Would it hurt anything to jus take it off? I have a K&N filter in the stock airbox and i heard you get a lil better air flow. L8er Jon

[ 10-01-2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: SaxManZX3 ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
It drops performance like a HP or two, but you get a cool sound. I took mine off while i waited for my intake to come in. But if you want both performance and sound you know what you've gotta do

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The only thing that will improve is sound. In my case, my car would bog in hot weather, but oh well. It would be better just to take off the resonator and then plug it so you get the sound, but none of the hot air will come in.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't know why your search turned up nothing. There has been a lot written on this topic.

Better sound with it off.

Less performance because you suck in hot air from under the hood.

Add ducting to it to pipe it under the bumper.

I think I've tried all of the combinations. Right now mine is off with the opening blocked.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sax,
Try this for about $4.00

See, http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/ice-man-clone.htm

I left mine open for a while, and noticed the area on the filter just above the hole was dirtier than the rest of the filter. So you should keep an eye on your filter if you leave the resonator off.

[ 10-01-2002, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: myFordFocus.com ]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I first blocked my resonator by siliconing a piece of plastic in the opening with the hopes of more sound. No difference. I then removed the snorkel with the blocked resonator in place. Helped the sound but it made the engine feel starved for air at any rpm. Now I removed the snorkel and the resonator and have a K&N in the stock airbox. It feels a little stronger than stock at 5 grand but less so down low. It sure sounds cool though. It really howls between 5 and 6 grand! This is just temporary while I save for the K&N FIPK.

Dan

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aighty guess ill leave it and save for a ful K&N. Jon

·
Registered
107 Posts
i tried resonator off, put a hose on it' took pipe off; put resonator back on' came to the conclusion; hot weather hot engine you just cannot escape hot air' whats next maybe a fan blowing air into the resonator hole; i douth it .nothing really cures the problem but keep trying

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
New Edge Performance sells an IceMan resonator duct as a seperate piece for $39.00; it also comes with the whole IceMan kit ($209). The $4.00 Home Depot duct probably does the same thing, but the IceMan piece looks real "clean", especially in black it looks O.E.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can go to the auto parts store and buy a 30" long piece of black duct the type used in old VW's for $3.00. Its like the home Depot hose except its covered with a black paper on the outside and tan on the inside. I ran mine from the resonator opening up and over the front of the battery where I fastened the end next to the stock snorkle inlet.Theres plenty of room for the hood to close over it. No hot air gets in = no power loss. I would like to post a pic but cant figure out how to do it here. There are 3 small tabs on the bottom of the resonator opening it helps if you grind or cut these back (small piece of hacksaw blade)so the hose will slide on to the opening further.This wont hurt the airbox at all and you can clip the resonator back on in a minute if you go in for warranty work. I used a zip tie to secure mine.

[ 10-02-2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: bugshack ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just wanted mention that by running the (resonator hole) intake duct opening to the front rather than under the headlight has 2 advantages.1= Dirt and debri are constantly being churned around the inside of the wheel well and will be drawn in by the tube placed under the headlight. 2= placing it up front puts it in the coolest possible clean air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts