Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

I'm not too sure about this but it might make sense.

Today I removed my foglights since one is broken and I want to replace it quickly tomorrow. I wasn't going to drive around with one fog light so I took them both out.

Anyway, I was looking underneath the car and noticed that the intake hose could easily be routed to pick up cold air from this location, sort of a cheaper CAI.

A longer, larger hose and perhaps some kind of modified scoop with a screen or just a cone filter might do wonders here.

I was also thinking about keeping the fog lights out and using them as brake ducts.

They are so easy to install again for shows and what not, but the places I drive pusts these expensive little glass ( dammit Ford! )fog lights are a real risk of breaking.

What do you think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am no engineer but it sounds like that might be an awful long way for all that air to go. Like you said it would probbaly have to be a pretty wide diameter tube for it to to be of any use - but what do I know. Seems like it would bee a pretty good RAM air setup if you can get it to work. Just make sure you dont suck up any small animals or squirrels.
Post some pictures and information if you do decide to try it out. Good Luck!

PS: I used to have a 89 Taurus SHO as my first car, loved that beast.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Both ideas are good, but for the CAI to work well, you should have a large diameter pipe as mentioned. You may even want to put the cone filter down there. It would sound really good as well. The brake duct idea works too, but unless your doing some serious track time, I don't think it'll make any real performance difference. If you want to do that, talk to captain-orange, he's done it already.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have removed my foglights and installed air ducts to the brakes. It consists of a custom aluminum fitting that screws up using the existing screws for the lights. Results in a three inch OD aluminum tube 3 inch long, that air duct hose 3" ID attaches onto. Used hose clamps to route the duct. Worked well at BeaverRun during time trials. You can't get too much air to the brakes.

For the engine intake, I believe that you would have to place a baffle in the engine intake to benefit from a cold air inlet. This baffle would eliminate what could be lots of water/water vapor during rain/puddle jumping. Otherwise you would get a water compression failure of the power plant.

Certainly the air source is the coldest possible at the inlet, don't know how much heating would take place during the travel to the manifold. Not much during highway use, but during idle, there would be considerable time to heat the air in the "tube".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts