Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nicely written article on drifting on www.autoweekcom

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07340329

I think drifting is kinda cool. The biggest problem for those that actually want to do it is A) where to practice and B) what kind of car are you going to use? There are only so many RWD cars in the US. The only "driftable" cars currently offered in the US are the 350Z, the IS300, the Miata, Honda's S2000, some Lexuses (Lexi?), the Mustang, the RX8, G35, some of the pricey German brands, and 2WD pickups. Most of these cars are pretty expensive, too – not something most "kids" that would be interested in it could afford.

As far as used drifters such as the AE86, the 240SX, and the RX-7, all are fairly rare. Why don't we see Camaros and Mustangs in this form of motorsports? Will it really catch on? Personally, I don't think it'll get really big. It's not like the current sport-compact scene where any licensed kid can go out and pick up a Civic, Protege, Focus, or Corolla and soup it up. It has to be RWD or AWD, for that matter.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The RWD guys do it but they call it power sliding. The sport compact crowd attempts it with their fwd :greddy:

EDIT
just read in the article about powersliding after i wrote this.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
This could be The Next Big Thing. Or maybe not. But it’s at least the next small or medium thing.
Heh.

·
Registered
582 Posts
America might call a powerslide, oversteer, doing donuts, or, our favorite, “doing a brody.”
“doing a brody”, now there's a term I haven't heard in... at least 30 years. Do people really still use it?

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Don't forget the old school imports. Celica's, 280Z, 200sx, Corolla. Most of the old school early to mid 80's imports are great for drifting.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Drifting is fun....due to the thrill of taking a turn sideways or just going sideways and going fast on a straight.

FWD cars going sideways = ass dragging

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
rangers actually work remarkably well. I'd rather drift a 97 ranger over a 97 stang GT. Rack and pinion, good feedback, very tractable.

Also, you look like a loony when you're outdriving the rich kid in his audi

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nicely written article on drifting on www.autoweekcom

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07340329

I think drifting is kinda cool. The biggest problem for those that actually want to do it is A) where to practice and B) what kind of car are you going to use? There are only so many RWD cars in the US. The only "driftable" cars currently offered in the US are the 350Z, the IS300, the Miata, Honda's S2000, some Lexuses (Lexi?), the Mustang, the RX8, G35, some of the pricey German brands, and 2WD pickups. Most of these cars are pretty expensive, too – not something most "kids" that would be interested in it could afford.

As far as used drifters such as the AE86, the 240SX, and the RX-7, all are fairly rare. Why don't we see Camaros and Mustangs in this form of motorsports? Will it really catch on? Personally, I don't think it'll get really big. It's not like the current sport-compact scene where any licensed kid can go out and pick up a Civic, Protege, Focus, or Corolla and soup it up. It has to be RWD or AWD, for that matter.

What do you think?
I belong to a Drifting Forum. There is a guy that is in Hawaii that drifts using a Camaro. There is a magazine out there called Drifting by Import Tuner Magazine. They did an article on modding a Mustang for Drifting. I am putting together a Drifting Team for New England.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
As far as used drifters such as the AE86, the 240SX, and the RX-7, all are fairly rare.
The AE86 maybe. RX-7's (especially FC's) and 240's can be had easily.
Here are the one that are popular in the Drifting Scene. RX-7, Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86engine)Nissan 240SX,180SX,,240Z 300ZX, 350Z,Mustang,Camaro,Nissan Skyline, WRX,EVO,Toyota Supra. Yes you can drift a front wheel drive, but the best ones to drift in would be the RWD ones. You can find some of these cars @ www.autotrader.com I am thinking of going w/ the Nissan 240SX coverted to a Nissan Silvia S14.5 or going w/ the 180SX S13. Mmmmm SR20DET

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
For the life of me, I STILL don't understand where the "Judging" and "Racing" intersect...?????

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
For the life of me, I STILL don't understand where the "Judging" and "Racing" intersect...?????
Go to one of them drift sessions/competitions and you'll understand.

In fact, there's another session at the end of the month down here in Hawaii. Yay!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
DON"T FORGET THE RANGER> YOu guys are all prolly convinced I'm joking, but i guarantee in drifting, wehre tractability, confidence, and precision are far more important than things like ultimate grip or maximum acceleration, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts