Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy! Did I have fun stripping my car lol. It was so fun everything just popped out easily. Now that I have the parts i want painted I need some advice.

I have a CD Silver ZX3

Should I go with red interior or silver?

Thanks my FJ friends

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
depends on wat ur ideas for the future are.... either way I think silver would flow better, u should get it professionally color matched at a body shop

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi,

I have a silver zts, and I painted my interior..
I painted everything blue inside.. the center radio bezel and the door pieces.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If you're going to do a bunch of parts, and you want it too look right, don't use spray cans. I've never, ever, seen a spray can job that looked good, and I've seen plenty.

Go to a body shop and have them do it, or put it all back on your car. Don't be ghetto.

·
7,550 Posts
I just got mine back from the shop, color matched Twilight Blue Metallic Clearcoat... looks awesome, Ill have pics tomorrow

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. How much was it to get it professionally done?

·
7,550 Posts
I paid 100 for the radio bezel, the gauge surround, and all of the vent surrounds.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid 100 for the radio bezel, the gauge surround, and all of the vent surrounds.
Thats not bad for the actual paint match of the car. I will do CD Silver then.
Do I take it to a body repair shop? Or can Ford do it?

Parts I want to paint:

The moldings around the door handle/lock button
The door arm rest but the peice inside the arm rest (can't explain it)
the small side air vents
the gauge bezel
armrest
the air vents
cub holders
ashtray
radio bezel

Do you think I should also paint the automatic shift knob and ebrake handle?

·
Registered
72 Posts
ummm....i did mine with spray paint and it looks fantastic, so i really don't see why you would call it ghetto. The way i see it why pay around $100 when you can pay under $10 and do it yourself. just as long as you use clearcoat you should be alright. i've had mine on for over a year and no problems at all. plus everyone who sees it can't believe that i did it myself. but its really up to you if you don't think you can do it. but it is really simple. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ummm....i did mine with spray paint and it looks fantastic, so i really don't see why you would call it ghetto. The way i see it why pay around $100 when you can pay under $10 and do it yourself. just as long as you use clearcoat you should be alright. i've had mine on for over a year and no problems at all. plus everyone who sees it can't believe that i did it myself. but its really up to you if you don't think you can do it. but it is really simple. hope this helps.
I wasn't the one calling it Ghetto. I was thinking of doing it by myself. Actually, I have a friend who did his, he knows what he did wrong when he did his so mine will be flawless hahaha.
Yeah 100 bucks is too much for interior work.

·
7,550 Posts
I did my last one myself, but it was different color then my exterior. If you want to color match, go to a Body repair shop. If you want a seperate color, do it yourself. Theres no way it will cost less then 10 bucks tho, lol, around 25 at least for primer, paint, clearcoat. But I dont think its ghetto, It was my first mod on my first car. After that one was totalled, I wanted to color match this one cuz nothing really matches twilight blue.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
how are you gettin $25!? i mean i didnt use crap paint but i also didnt use the top of the line stuff...and mine was under $10! i didnt see the point in spendin twice as much when i have had it dont for over 6 months and not a single problem

·
7,550 Posts
well I used two cans of each thing... I wanted to make sure I did it right. I dunno, maybe it was just me. But I got pics of my color matched stuff that is stil curing outside on my porch... heres some teasers

and here is why I went with color matching, look how cool this is!

I had done my other car in red myself before with Kyrlon paint and I loved it, I was gonna do this one myself in dark blue, but I tohught about it and thought it would look so much sweet if it was EXACTLY like the exterior of the car. Just me tho

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
If you're going to do a bunch of parts, and you want it too look right, don't use spray cans. I've never, ever, seen a spray can job that looked good, and I've seen plenty.

Go to a body shop and have them do it, or put it all back on your car. Don't be ghetto.

then you've never seen someone who knows how to paint use one? granted you'll get better results by leaving it to the pro's, but try it out, maybe you'll learn something.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

then you've never seen someone who knows how to paint use one? granted you'll get better results by leaving it to the pro's, but try it out, maybe you'll learn something.
My friend and I are going to do ours at the same time. One of our other friends has done it to his Honda. He knows what he did wrong and won't make mistakes this time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
well you could go to a body shop get some coloer matched paint then do it yourself. i mean with those spray cans w/the glass things on the bottom. you'd have the exact color and save some money by painting it your self.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I had done my other car in red myself before with Kyrlon paint and I loved it, I was gonna do this one myself in dark blue, but I tohught about it and thought it would look so much sweet if it was EXACTLY like the exterior of the car. Just me tho

That looks hot as hell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts