Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
you got the aftermarket 1? their 6 different rates that the intermittent work...not just the 1 spd you get factory, turn it down to 6 and it'll come up not as much (light misty rains like we get here in md)....great mod, and for 20bux or so!!!!!!

-Ult

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Both of our Foci came with the single speed intermittent wipers, I replaced them (the switches) with 6 speed switches from Erik at focustrends.com. Easy installation (about three minutes or so), and now we have various wiper speeds for different conditions. I think these are genuine ford items too. He selld them on eBay also.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
you got the aftermarket 1? their 6 different rates that the intermittent work...not just the 1 spd you get factory, turn it down to 6 and it'll come up not as much (light misty rains like we get here in md)....great mod, and for 20bux or so!!!!!!

-Ult
Mine has 3 speeds. Can I switch to a 6 speed even though I have the 3 speed wiper switch?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We all have a three speed switch. Yes you can do the swap.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Um...I think these only work on a ZX3/5/SVT though (due to the rear wiper control).
The same switch will work on wagon Foci since they have a rear wiper.
Ford makes a different 6 speed wiper and 3 speed wiper switch for sedan foci.

(note the "six speed" wiper switch really has 8 speeds; continuous on fast, continuous on slow, and then 6 variable intermittent speeds (1 has about a 1 second gap between wipes, 6 has about a six second gap between wipes)

Also interesting note, on my 2001 focus when you hit the window wash button, the wipers would wipe the window a few times, and then a drip of fluid would run down the windshield infront of the driver. On my 2002 focus the wipe would wipe a few times, stop for a few seconds to let the drip fall, and then make one more wipe. Both cars had the 6 speed variable switch. Are there different 6 speed switches between 2001 and 2002?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Also interesting note, on my 2001 focus when you hit the window wash button, the wipers would wipe the window a few times, and then a drip of fluid would run down the windshield infront of the driver. On my 2002 focus the wipe would wipe a few times, stop for a few seconds to let the drip fall, and then make one more wipe. Both cars had the 6 speed variable switch. Are there different 6 speed switches between 2001 and 2002?
I think thats in the ECU. My 2001 never did that, but my 2003 does, and its the same 6-speed switch, out of the 2001 into the 2003.

Also, I was under the impression that the sedan already had a 6-speed, but not the hatches.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have an 01 and an 02 and both have the new multi-speed wiper switches installed. My 01 makes about 5 passes when I run the washers then stops. My 02 makes the same number of passes, then a pause for a few seconds, then makes one more pass to wipe up the excess. Both cars were this way since day one and still perform this way with the new switches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts