Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at a custom turbo kit for a buddies ZX3 and trying to figure out if there is enough room for a 14b turbo with internal wastegate from a 1990 Laser. I thought I would ask around before we do any further seaching.

I know the 14b is a pretty small turbo but Im just really curious how good any internal gated turbo fits in front of the Zetec. Doesnt seem like much room in there.

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I am not familiar with that turbo, but the PTE kit uses an internal wastegate on the GT28R. Obviously turbo location and oreintation would be huge factors, but with theirs they cut the original WG actuator mounting bracket, reconfigure it, and weld it back together in order to gain clearance with proper angles and so forth. Works great. But there is not a lot of room to spare.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The Gude Kit uses an internally gated Mitsu turbo and it even uses the stock manifold.

·
Registered
894 Posts
yea, the Gude kit bolts right up to the stock exhaust mani in place of the cat.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
well it does bolt to it but it has a flange that turns the turbo slightly to the pass side its the one here

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
yes its TD04H off a Dodge Shadow

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You need to step up to modern times..... use a newer turbo that has a better design, not a 15 year old used turbo........

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why? SO I can say I have a nicer fancier turbo? The 14b turbos are an awsome turbo. We also been looking into the Garrets. T25 and T28RS.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
No, so you'll have a better PERFORMING turbo. Something that doesn't take all day to spool up.

If your going to build a kit from scratch do it the way you want it the first time, it may take longer to build but at least you won't have to pay for somethings twice

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm running the Mit TD05 Turbo. We had to make a new bracket for the wastegate to fit properly, but other than that, it works great.

I've driven other boosted cars, not many, but I can say this is the quickest spooling one I've driven to date. The absoloute worst was the WRX.

I dont have a dyno, but I ran a 14.8 @ 97MPH with a 60ft time of 2.54 (
, 1st time @ the track).

Hoping for a low 14, high 13 pass with some practice.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yeah flo's car didn't seem "slow" to spool.. at least i didn't notice.. when do you get full boost? As a reference.. i get full boost 6.5-7psi at 3000rpm with my t25..

you on the other hand are not using the stock manifold.. but jay used to and it worked.. not sure if he had to play with the oil separator or not.. i had to cut it and make it shorter for the wastegate to fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts