Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 zx3 2.3 PZEV its got about 27000 miles on it. ive had it about a month now and im noticing a slight hesitation when opening the throttle.not big but very noticable. im curious if this is normal. the engine sounds and feels strong as soon as it kicks in it just lags a second right at tip in. is this from all the smog stuff? is it fixable?
thanx for any info, and this forum rocks!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Do you have a auto or stick? Cause if you have a stick you're suppose let the clutch out sooner
. J/K bro I don't know whats up. OBTW Welcome to da jet

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
It's probably nothing. The 2.3 is an awesome engine, but it's weighted down with balance shafts, a steel flywheel, a forgiving throttle body, restrictive intake, and a less-than-aggressive factory tune. All put together, it's a lot for even an excellent engine to deal with. You'll find that the more you modify the engine, the more responsive it gets. Most of the big tuners have engines that rev like the little F1 contenders they are.

P.S.: put an intake on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a manual, and its not just rotating mass, there is a big change in power delivery even though i havent moved the gas pedal. it actually feels like a turbo, you press the gas little or nothing happens for a second then power comes on quick. a mechanic buddy of mine took a look and guessed (he's a nissan mech so...) that the smog stuff holds more vacume in the manifold and when you open the throttle it takes a second for the air to reach the cylinders.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Mine did that, too. I believe it has something to do with the super-long, extra-restrictive intake, because it mostly quit after installing a CAI. There's a lot of air sitting inside the factory intake, and when you step on the pedal the engine has to move all of it in a hurry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine did that before cai...
but it is normal...
the other thing is the powerband on this motor starts right about 2700 rpm - 5500... so if you keep it in that range you would never notice it.. that and the super restrictive intake system... the exhaust being as restrictice as it is doenst help either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Had it too, goes away quite a bit after a CAI install, but I still get it, rarely..

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Tumble flaps, fuel mixture and timing are all contributing to this change in 'eagerness' despite the throttle setting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, as long as its normal, i wont stress
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
i only have it with the a/c on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used to hate it when i bought mine i was like something is wrong, especially driving at about 40 in 4th a little under 2000 rpms it would stutter slightly. So i drove around in 3rd gear alot around town. cai made it alot better but the header has taken it away completely.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a cai and flex-back and I notice the same thing sometimes (esp. when I have the AC on). I think things like the BS delete and tumble flaps will help out. It is REALLY annoying, tho.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Everyone seems to have their own solution here, so I thought I'd add my own theory.

I just replaced the rear motor mount with poly bushings & I notice that the stutter is much improved. There may be airflow issues with the engine also, but that rear motor mount has a lot of slop OEM. Every time you let off the accelerator the engine returns to a resting position, then when you hit the throttle again before it can give power to the wheels it has to pull the slop out of the rear mount. So it gives you a split second of no power, then a slight surge as if you're having a difficult time modulating the clutch enough to drive smoothly. I've also heard & experienced that on wet roads, particularly when pulling from a stop you get less tire hop, or wheel chatter with the poly motor mount. I'm willing to bet this is for the same reason- that with the sloppy OEM bushings power to the wheels isn't consistant under load due to the occilation of the motor mount with the slipping / gripping of the wheels.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts