Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you get rid of the CAT convertor on you car and not have problems? I live in a state that has no emission checks.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
WHAT! Oregon has no emissions tests? Hmmz...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by mattndew676:
Can you get rid of the CAT convertor on you car and not have problems? I live in a state that has no emission checks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just replied to your other post, but yes thats the best way to add power..It will not cause problems to your vehicle..Just buy a O2 Cheater for like $35 or else your Check Engine Light (CEL) will come on..Mine just did so I need to buy a cheater..or you can just live with the little CEL....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a low Grunt and No fart. I cant stand the rasp that Some of these Hondas and Integras spit out. Its not appealing. Its like all they have a re straight pipe.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
WHAT! Oregon has no emissions tests? Hmmz...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes we do. But the last one I went through the tech didn't look very close. I'm sure I could have gotten away without a cat.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I'd be socially responsible and get a high-flow cat instead. There are more gains to be had before the cat becomes the bottleneck...

It's up to you though, because a cat is definately a restriction point, but it isn't the ONLY restriction point.

I was born and raised in Eugene, BTW.

Phillip: Lane County doesn't do any emmisions testing or inspection... Actually all three of my cars are still registered there.

[ 10-18-2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oregon Is good. Well Im not concerned with smell. Performance is the game. So far on the car i have the pulley kit, Diablo Chip (govern programed out), A short ram intake with a custom Glass hood with a Ram intake drop scoop over the shart ram. Simala to the Focus central hood. but better. Im going to do the exhaust and throttle body next.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
please dont say youre just gonna gut it, i ASSUME youre getting a raceheader right???

Please dont gut it, you will loose power, it will sound like **** and its stupid

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im going to get a race header. I dont have to worry about Emissions here in eugene oregon. i want a good combo. Good Header. Well Just a good all around package.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So is the noise high pitch (ricey) or what?A discription would be ideal. Also, are the gains very noticable with a shorty?

·
Registered
473 Posts
i've got a shorty header and the random technology high flow cat, and full exhaust. very nice gains over the stock cat. oh by the way i am on my second stock cat. first one crumbled and blew out the exhaust pipe. good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why take off the cat? I own a WRX and are cars are turbo'd. We have 3 cats, yes 3. One on the up-pipe (to the turbo), one on the down pipe, and one right after the downpipe. I think we get about 8 WHP by doing that. Now thats with a turbo'd car, and removing 3 HIGHLY restrictive points. How much power will you gain by removing the cat? A great big black cloud will now come out of your tailpipe too. Just sayin'.

Rich

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmmmm When I lived in Alabama, my 5.0 had no cats, emissions equip etc due to no emissions testing in place. I don't recall seeing any black clouds unless it was tire smoke, and that's with 475 rwhp. I would axe my cats if I could...no its not socially responsible, and even with no emissions tesing in place it does violate federal standards, but it's a choice to make. Whether or not a flat motor (WRX) picks up 8 HP is inconsequential. We are comparing apples to oranges, and mattndew676 is the person who has to make the choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slane: Good advice. Thank you.

Well i have decided to go with A race header. Loose the cat and replace it with A two muffler system. basically stack two high flow mufflers. A local has his Foci set up like this. He claims he got good gains an a lower tone.

G

·
0 Posts
I gutted out my friend's mitsu last time and it's losing power. Plus, I can't stand the smell, it's so bad like rotten eggs.

But, I used to have a straight pipe for my lude, and I felt the car accelerated quicker and no stinking smell. So, may be different car yields different results ?

=dRe=

·
Registered
473 Posts
just an fyi, i had the off road pipe on my car for about 2 weeks. very very loud. now i do have the shorty header though so it may be just a little different type of sound than the race headers out there. cablesrv in fort worth has the focus central race header with a catco cat welded in and 2 resonators and it's still pretty loud, but he can back it up with how fast it is. good luck!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put the off road pipe in since my cat fell apart, put got pulled over a week ago for excessive noise. How much will the catco or Focus Central cat reduce the noise? I have a jba and Thermal exhaust with the larger resonator.

Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 21 Posts