Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it worth swapping the Esslinger UDP for the FC 3 piece set UDP?

what kind of gains would I see. i understand its a small difference but in drag racing every bit counts but then again, for a .5hp difference it wouldnt be worth it so for all of those who have it or know alot about it, would it be worth it?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
yes, i had the Esslinger UDP and didnt notice much of a difference, I just installed the Focus Central pulley kit and you notice a lot. in the low end and over 4000 rpms too.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Post the weight and how much it underdrives the accessories (which also obviously provides a not so subtle hint about the diameter) and you can approximate the difference.

There can only be three factors:
Weight
Diamter
Underdrive

Size and underdrive are pretty much one and the same, so really just two things to take into consideration.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Dammit! Hahah! For whatever reason I was thinking it was a new three piece UDP (like 3 piece wheels).

What 3 things does it underdrive? It seems to me like it would make sense to underdrive all your accessories more with one small crank pulley than putting on larger pullies for the accessories.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
We'll tell ya in a week or so, ours should be here this week man

We are replacing our Esslinger with the 3 Piece Kit

drew
fok

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
you can get the pieces seperatly, i thing new edge has them too.

you get a small UDP, ans slightly larger water pump pulley, and a stock alternator pulley its just lighter and blue to match the others.

I have these along with the AEM larger alternator pulley and have no problems with anything.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
You can order it from will at PhordRacing, his phone numbers in my sig

drew
fok

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
thats exactly what im doin right now, swapping esslinger for 3 piece FC pulley kit this week, and i will let you know how it goes, im using the stock belt

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
the 3 piece consists of:

The shortest and lightest UDP itselt, a nice bit smaller than esslinger

an overdrive water pump pulley, and lighter also

same size alt pulley but blue and a bit lighter

·
Registered
288 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CTZX3:
you can get the pieces seperatly, i thing new edge has them too.

you get a small UDP, ans slightly larger water pump pulley, and a stock alternator pulley its just lighter and blue to match the others.

I have these along with the AEM larger alternator pulley and have no problems with anything.
<hr></blockquote>
What size belt are you using with all three (including the aem)? I might just have to go this route too.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
So, let me see, Chris does that mean your underdriving the water pump also?? Wouldnt that make your car run hotter?? Also your turning the altenator slower so that means that charging is affected, so for people with systems, this is a no- no...right?

Better yet Chris....Give us a full right up!!!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by icemanZX3:
The REAL question.. how much for ALL THREE pulleys???

<hr></blockquote>

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I know that the two pice pully kit is $119 the three is prolly about $10-20 more.

I use the AEM belt

Yes i slow down the alternator and the waterpump, but have notice no difference in these items on the car, its just faster.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hey all $119.00+shipping and tax.

heres a pic

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: phordman ]</p>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Modern Performance has the pulley kits in stock as well for $119.00.

Laterz!
Gerardo Garcia III

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
actually, from what I've read, it's a water pump OVERdrive pulley... meaning that your car would stay cooler. perhaps I've read wrong info?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts