Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. 2002 SVT turbo with a half tune from Randy (car broke).

Just finished rebuilding the entire engine, it took about a year, and the battery was disconnected for that time. at the time the car broke the battery was brand new

First start was fine, 3 cranks, and it was running. Sounded better than ever. We were varying the rams for about a good 15 minutes no problems, no leaks whatsoever. We took it out for a slow spin and made it about an 1/4 mile before the riverside axle popped out (i didn't seat the clip thing properly i guess :bang:) no big deal, no damage, left it in the garage over night.

The next morning we went to go start it, battery was dead. No clicks, no dings, no lights, just straight up dead. We charged the battery for a few hours while we fiddled with the axle, and tried starting her again.

The first thing I noticed was that the check engine light we had (because VCT timing was slightly off) was now gone. As it idled I watch the AFR go from 14.7 to 10 in the time span about one minute. I tried giving it a little throttle to add more air and hopefully burn off the fuel but it coughs and sputters. I let go and it eventually gets into this rhythm of idling and sputtering. When it sputters the evap light in the cluster flickers.

WTF.

So apparently the internet says removing the battery doesn't remove the tune, but it does however cause the AF tune in open loop to reset. Is this true? If so how long should I be letting my freshly rebuilt 3k engine just idle till it figures it out?

I still have the most recent tune in my livewire, would that have a saved open loop tune on there? Should i just reload the tune?

HELP.

Joe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens if you unplug the primary o2 sensor?
Not sure I will have to check.

A few days ago I reloaded the tune. Today I started it up and its still doing it, even after the car warms up to operating temp.

One thing that is different about the car is the compression ratio it is now 9.0:1 whereas before it was the stock 10.2:1. Would this cause my car to run rich because it is not pulling in enough air?

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts