Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sitting at about 7500 miles and have hade the car 8 months. My clutch or something in the transmission seems a little off. The car use to engage nicely with the power going to the wheels and a sharp transfer of power, but the feel is softer now. Especially in the higher gears as the shift is almost lost completely without any real feel of a shift. First gear is not bad and seems to stay connected when in gear. This car has been taken well care of, but I’ve had some fun of coarse to.

My question (after reading others and their trany problems): is it normal for things to soften up (noticeably after a comparison on a newer 03 with quite a bit of track time) in this time period, and if something is a miss, what might it be?

I know there’s a lot of experience on here and was hoping to get some feed back before I most likely take it in to get looked at.

Oh yea, I just replaced the rear torque link motor mount bushings and it does make a difference, but was expecting more of a difference from all the rave reviews. Could this have something to do with it or was I expecting to much?

Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is going or nearly gone. If you lett off the clutch and the revs don't immediatley match the speed of the tranny then the clutch is slipping. This would give you a much softer feel in the higher gears.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
one easy way to tell if the clutch is almost gone is cruise at a constant speed at around 5k rpm and then hit the gas. If the rev's go up but the speed of the car doesn't then the clutch is slipping. If not and the speed of the car increases as the rpm's increase the clutch isn't toast yet. Not to say it isn't on its way out, but it isn't to the point of parking it until replacement.

The only time I know of a tranny feeling different is before and after break-in. Not sure what your problem is. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just had to replace my clutch. Sonicblu is dead on with his test. If you are even slightly concerned go get it checked. Our clutch has a 12K mile warranty and then the walk away from it. I got lucky because I bought into the maintenance plan so the replaced mine under warranty with over 19k miles. You situation sounds similar to what I was experiencing at the beginning of the clutches death throes... Sorry to say.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one easy way to tell if the clutch is almost gone is cruise at a constant speed at around 5k rpm and then hit the gas
I can do this and the car jerks nicely in the first couple of gears, but when I’m accelerating down an on ramp aggressively the shift feel gets softer on each higher gear.
Sometimes a shift into second and third is also soft. I was asking partly because of this inconsistent feel and was wondering how normal it is.

On a side note, I try not to down shift to much on things like red lights and so on and always try to match revs, except when hard accelerating for fun occasionally.

Thanks for the feed back already. I will most likely take it in with the next up coming oil change and have a look see.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
yeah take it in. I am not sure I understand what you mean by feels soft. Any other way to explain it?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure I understand what you mean by feels soft. Any other way to explain it?
When you throw it into the next gear it does not seem to hook up and drive/shoot the car forward. It feels more like the transmission of an automatic on a family car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's a question that is a little offtopic, but close. After running the car on a highway for 30 minutes (no shifting), the clutch pedal requires much more force to depress. This is only on the first press or two, then it returns to normal. Is that normal behavior?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
one easy way to tell if the clutch is almost gone is cruise at a constant speed at around 5k rpm and then hit the gas
I can do this and the car jerks nicely in the first couple of gears, but when I’m accelerating down an on ramp aggressively the shift feel gets softer on each higher gear.
Sometimes a shift into second and third is also soft. I was asking partly because of this inconsistent feel and was wondering how normal it is.

On a side note, I try not to down shift to much on things like red lights and so on and always try to match revs, except when hard accelerating for fun occasionally.

Thanks for the feed back already. I will most likely take it in with the next up coming oil change and have a look see.
Not sure if that is exactly what my problem started like, but I can tell you when my clutch went, it started with the upper gears and worked down to the point that starting in 1st became a chore.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a question that is a little offtopic, but close. After running the car on a highway for 30 minutes (no shifting), the clutch pedal requires much more force to depress. This is only on the first press or two, then it returns to normal. Is that normal behavior?
I never had that happen but after a mix of highway and city driving I can’t say this is something I've experienced on even the longest trip. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I, and several others have experienced this. Strangely, it only happened for about a month, and hasn't happened to me since July. ????

·
Registered
849 Posts
sometimes my clutch feels soft and other time it's hard to press on yeah like when you take a long trip. That happened to me when I went to a G2G up north. I took it to the dealer but they said it's perfectly fine and there was no signs a clutch wear
go fig.

·
Registered
486 Posts
sometimes my clutch feels soft and other time it's hard to press on yeah like when you take a long trip. That happened to me when I went to a G2G up north. I took it to the dealer but they said it's perfectly fine and there was no signs a clutch wear
go fig.
I was worried because the clutch started to feel really soft to me, but on long trips it would firm up. My clutch isnt slipping or anything so I figure everything is fine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sometimes my clutch feels soft and other time it's hard to press on yeah like when you take a long trip. That happened to me when I went to a G2G up north. I took it to the dealer but they said it's perfectly fine and there was no signs a clutch wear go fig.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was worried because the clutch started to feel really soft to me, but on long trips it would firm up. My clutch isnt slipping or anything so I figure everything is fine.
I hope I’m not misunderstanding anyone, or they misunderstanding my original post. It’s not the pedal feel like when you physically push the clutch with your foot, but the feel of engagement when you let it out, and either get a solid or soft feel in the overall drive train.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts