Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a STEEDA short ram, just wondering if there was a period of time in which the engine has to get used to the increased amount of air flow. The rpm's seem to act funny after sitting at a redlight for a short period of time. Is this normal behavior, after i hit the gas the rpm's drop a few notches before gradually increasing to normal range??

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
installation of new part (directions)
1) unplug battery
2) install new part
3) hook up battery
4) idle for 10 minutes with accessories off

·
Registered
389 Posts
One thing to add to the info above. It takes about 15 minutes of idle time over a few (2 or 3) drive cycles to re-learn the idle. This is the part that the PCM has to "get used to". Not the increased airflow while driving. The MAF takes care of that. Also to get the idle correct the PCM has to see AC on and off during that idle period (if you have AC). Use the Defrost mode in the winter to trigger the AC.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, i hope it works. I will try tonight. I mean its not bad its just not the same as before and thats what drives me insane!!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I am not quite sure what their ram looks like, but does it have a shield for hot air? Short ram intakes are notorious for sucking in hot air from the engine bay while stopped (like at the traffic light). And we all know that hot air has low density, which is not good for performance (can burn less fuel). It is merely an annoyance, since as soon as you are moving again, the problem goes away (fresh air gets under the hood). Some short rams and stick ons (like FS cool-flo) have a litle heat shield that prevents the hot air from the engine bay to get into the intake.

Unfortunately, the warmer it is out there, the more difference can be seen. What usually worked out with me (I had Ractive, that I ditched for IceMan later) is to blip the trottle a little bit and then put it in the gear and drive away. Some people even hooked up ducts (like infamous StrongTower's NASA-looking duct) to get the air from some cooler place.

Either way, there should be some (positive) noticable difference when moving, so enjoy it!

[ 01-03-2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Blis ]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't true that any air that enters the engine will be cooler then the engine itself anyways, i mean the temp of the engine is close to 200 degrees right? So the air that enters is way cooler then that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by pinKRUSHER:
Isn't true that any air that enters the engine will be cooler then the engine itself anyways, i mean the temp of the engine is close to 200 degrees right? So the air that enters is way cooler then that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">but you're still pulling hot air. Hot air like blis said is less dense, so the engine acts like it is asphyxiating.

The proximity of the short ram to the engine will pull hot air into the intake when you're at idle.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats happening but after you gave me those install tips the car is running much much better. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts