Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has had a rattle that sounds like a bird chirping. I have a feeling that is coming from what remains of CAT heat shield. But I thought I would see if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
if that is the problem, numerous people have had the same thing. sounds like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I’m afraid of, I just hope they don’t give me a hard time about the car being lowered. But like my friend keeps telling me the ORP will solve that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can fix it yourself. All they do is put wrapties around the cat. Saves you the trouble of arguing with the idiots(at my dealer at least
)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about, poking around under there this weekend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had that exact comment about birds under my car from the performance shop. I asked them to take a quick look and they thought it was in the tranny. Took it to Ford and it turned out to be a broken exhaust braket near the engine. I got it fixed for free and no problems since. Good thing to cause it was driving me nuts.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have the same problem, and the heat shield was hanging off the cat, so i riped that off and it still makes that sound, when i take mine to get the oil change I will make them check it out, damn car is still new and problems already.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I stopped by a service shop and put the car up on a lift, to take a look. It doesn’t seem like the heat shielded is the problem. It sounds more like the belts or the pulleys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought my broken exhaust bracket was the belts or pullies to. It made a louder schreeching noice at lower rpm and seemed to go away in the higher. The brackets have been braking in a lot of the svt cars and ford's new one is reinforced. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had the exact same problem this last summer. It was a broken exhaust bracket and the dealer fixed it no problem. There is an updated part for it that is reinforced to help it not break again. I thought for sure it was a pulley too, but it was the exhaust. It took them 3 trips to the dealer to get it fixed and now it sounds great.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where is the bracket?

I’d like to take a look, I’m having issues with the deal and there service, so I may do it myself till I find a better service center.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I dunno, if it's the same problem I had, it makes me think this is a belt/pulley issue. It happened a little when I had the stock pulley, more when I went to the shorter belt and the AF/X pulley. I bought a belt 1/2" smaller (81"), and the squeaking stopped totally. May be a problem with the belt tensioner. Have someone hit the gas a bit while you turn the bolt on the tensioner, assuming you hear it when you rev a bit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe the bracket is attached to the exhaust near the header. There are posts in the svt forum that talk about it and have pictures.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys had it right, I had it up on a lift today and we where able to see the broken bracket. I's way up in there on the back side of the block, looks like the entire CAT needs to be removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts