Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the slave cylinder and will do clutch kit while I'm there. I've searched and read countless threads but can't find a complete how to on the trans removal.

You have to piece together axle removal with clutch removal and you get a widely differing opinions on what has to be removed to pull trans.

I got the car jacked up yesterday, removed front wheels, battery box, and air box and assessed what need to be done. I can easily see 8 bell housing bolts and they don't look to bad to get to with the right extensions. Are there more than that?

I've done a few trans/clutchs in my life but always on rear wheel drive vehicles. The biggest problem I see is the axle removal- what suspension/steering components need to be removed?

Any help or links are greatly appreciated.

·
))((
3,710 Posts
I had one that was pretty decent written up... All you need to do is remove everything on the driver side of the car, battery, air box and intake tube (leave the intake manni on!!) remove the battery tray. put a jack under the engine with some wood on top of it so you don't have a jack foot embedded in your engine. remove the dog bone, remove the driver side trans mount entirely, unclip the shift linkage from the trans, pull the slave cylinder line out, unplug the speed sensor, unbolt the starter, and start removing all 12 bolts numbering them and the hole they belong to, I think there are like 2 or 3 different sized bolts. When you do that it pays to have one person ontop and two on the bottom, slowly wiggle the transmission to the driver side as much as you can. When the shaft is clear lower the back side of it first and rotate it counter clockwise a little to clear the little foot on it from the Kmember. Installation is the reverse of removal.

I also forgot to tell you to remove the axles completely it makes it WHOLE lot easier, to get the nuts off I think you need a 32mm socket? could be wrong, but do that when the car is sitting on the ground otherwise you'll just be spinning the axle/engine if you have it gear. I think the torque specs for those is 210ftlbs when you put them back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts