Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a auto, and im more into the audio side of things, but i do want to do a few things on the performance side. Will i actually be able to tell the difference if I add a exhaust, intake etc...? and will the added power be stressfull for my Trany? thanx

[ 03-21-2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: jilla82 ]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Nope, you will not notice that much of a difference with an intake and exhaust. You can hook up the automatic by just having the basic bolt ons though.

Then with the rest of the money, you can do your audio stuff.

If you want to hook up an automatic based on performance, the best thing to do is a tranny swap.

My mods are listed below in my sig. I know when I want to stop modding my car (performance-wise). I plan to finish it off with a high-flow catalyic converter, a better flex-pipe, cams, and cam gears. Once that is done, all that's left to do is the interior/exterior.

Oh yea I drive an ATX too....of course I might settle for a tranny swap.

[ 03-21-2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Hi-Risk ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
My first impulse is to say "no"... because I've never been an auto fan.... Of course then I realize that is just silly of me.

Look... What are your goals? What do you like in a car?

It may very well be that a "hooked up" automatic is just what you want!

Minor power adders like intake and exhaust will probably do more in your head than for the numbers.. but an exhaust can be fun to listen to, and does make a small measurable amount. Neither of them will add enough power to harm your transaxle. Check your cash and your goals, and if it looks right for you, start ordering up the goodies!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
do up the suspension! a matched set of springs / dampers with some bushings... will help ANY focus... auto or manual!

AND it will help hold up the weight of your system!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
honestly, i just really hate the way that stock exhaust looks all rusted up and what not, its just so ugly. but i do want to put a little pep in the car, but im not gonna be out racing any ricers or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by jilla82:
honestly, i just really hate the way that stock exhaust looks all rusted up and what not, its just so ugly. but i do want to put a little pep in the car, but im not gonna be out racing any ricers or anything like that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you want to just make what's under your hood look nice and have a little "pep" on the car, then you should get:

intake
exhaust
header (race headers look nice but are LOUD)
spark plug wire cover

There's more you can get, but if you're into the audio thing so much, I say just go for those mods.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
ok... I drive an ATX and have more mods than most 5 speeds...

if you want to feel the most, slap on an Iceman intake (best tq numbers of all intakes great for ATX) get an exhaust... any will do, they're all about the same just different notes.... get headers (shorty and orp, or race) and get a chip

with all these things, your car will make about 115-116 whp 120tq (keep in mind you're starting at about 90whp)

The chip firms up the transmission line preassure making it feel MUCH better.

and dont listen to the ATX haters

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by TooleBox:
ok... I drive an ATX and have more mods than most 5 speeds...

if you want to feel the most, slap on an Iceman intake (best tq numbers of all intakes great for ATX) get an exhaust... any will do, they're all about the same just different notes.... get headers (shorty and orp, or race) and get a chip

with all these things, your car will make about 115-116 whp 120tq (keep in mind you're starting at about 90whp)

The chip firms up the transmission line preassure making it feel MUCH better.

and dont listen to the ATX haters
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanx for that info

any other Autos have any experience in this area?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get some lowering springs or coilovers, a short ram or cai, exhaust and some good spark plug wires.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with Toole. So far, I have the Iceman, Diablo Chip and 8.5 mm red spark pug wires as performance mods. It does make a difference. Next up is an UDP and Apex'i cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by jilla82:
just curious, have any of you guys took someone in a race?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lets just leave it at....yes.....
and quite a few were 5 speeds...aaand YES all those mods are worth it

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Aaaahhh yes...the infamous Diablo Chip for the ATX. It is recommend for the ATX alright as it does give more "noticable" benefits then some other mods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts