Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the mazdaspeed protege only at a 170hp?

I have seen different #'s, any where from 15.6 to 14.9. I am very impressed with the car. But I am curious, why wasn't it 200hp? What kept it from being faster?

Anyone know of available modifications?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
i heard the tranny is the reason for that power output, weak i guess.

[ 05-03-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: ZX3guy182 ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
The tranny is the same and also all the internals are the same as a regular 2.0 L that is in the SE. They did that to keep the cost down.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It has a weak tranny, weak motor, and a puny intercooler borrowed from a mazda turbo diesel in europe. In stock form this car is a great AutoX car, but by no means a good platform for a real race car.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of like buying a Focus and a good aftermarket turbo kit all rolled into the dealer financing.

All it is is a mostly stock powertrain, with an aftermarket developed turbo kit bolted on. No engine work, the kit isn't really OEM quality, small intercooler, non-robust internals...

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Originally posted by spike:
this is very untrue. as others have said, the mazdaspeed still uses the proteges weak motor and tranny. these are both mazda designed parts and not ford.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">David, he was reffering to the fact that because of the SVT Focus, Ford would not allow Mazda to build anything with a higher hp rating. From what I found, Calloway originally made the MSProtege with 200hp(Not sure if thats crank, or wheel) in mind. They said the limit on that car would be above 220. The weakest link on the MSProtege, at high boost, isn't the trans, or the diff. It's the crank. Calloway kept snapping crankshafts when they pushed the car above 220hp.
Supposedly(According to Calloway that is), the MSProtege is a chip away from 200hp, in the trim it's in now.
But, because my Focus is a depreciated pile of steaming horse dung, I can't get anyone to take my car off my hands, so I can get an MSProtege.

Latre, Al

·
Registered
723 Posts
hmmm, i always thought it was because at 170hp the engine and tranny were at there peak for reliable performance. thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by EastAl:
Originally posted by spike:
[qb]
But, because my Focus is a depreciated pile of steaming horse dung, I can't get anyone to take my car off my hands, so I can get an MSProtege.

Latre, Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i thought it was a lease?

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Lease could have been worked around. They still couldn't give me jack on the car though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by SE SPORTNY:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by [\]iteshift:
Why is the mazdaspeed protege only at a 170hp?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ford was the reason why!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this is very untrue. as others have said, the mazdaspeed still uses the proteges weak motor and tranny. these are both mazda designed parts and not ford.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Originally posted by DILATED:
The tranny is the same and also all the internals are the same as a regular 2.0 L that is in the SE. They did that to keep the cost down.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, this is what I heard too, no changes to the internals, so 170HP was the safest they could do for the costs and resources they were willing to put into it.

The only thing nice about this, means that you can do the same stuff yourself to the P5 and have no problems.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hopefully this will all change with a turbo 2.3 in the SVT and Mazada3 in a couple years

1 - 13 of 13 Posts