Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this photoshop\'d?

This is from the official WRC wesite, but I'm still confused. If it is, what should I look for to know? I'm kinda new to this stuff so help me out. The backround is blurry with means the camera moved while the shutter was open, right? But why isn't the car blurry?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Re: Is this photoshop\'d?

Thats easy to do. When you use a relatively slow shutter speed (like 1/125th-1/250th for auto racing) and follow the subject (rally car) as it moves across your field of view, it is actulyl not moving with respect to the film plane (your camera), but the back ground is..there fro you get sharp subject w/ a blury background.

I played with this on my new Canon 10D at a recent autocross adn fond that 1/125th is a pretty good shutter speed that makes the subject in sharp focus and the background a blurry mess!!! But I think you have to play with it. I even went as slow as 1/90th!!! hope that helps...G'Luck...

*EDIT* Although when I lok at it againg this guy proabably used like a 1/500th or 1/750th or maybe slightly faster shutter speed, cause the background didn't move very much...so the shot happened quickly. That is all assuming its real...which it can be...photographically speaking...

CCC

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Heres a decent example that I took @ an extremely slow 1/90th of a second shutter speed and the car still is in relative focus...but it is not moving completely across the film plane...but you get the idea...

CCC

·
Registered
242 Posts

I think it was faked.

Notice how the shadow has no penumbra (fuzzy, lighter edge)?

Shadows do not tend to have such sharp edges unless the object casting the shadow is very close to the surface it is casting that shadow on.

As sharp as that shadow is, the car should be only a few inches off the ground. Looks more like a few feet to me.

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts

I agree that it was faked also, because if you look at the car, it appears that there is some intense sunlight on the car, but the background appears to be slightly overcast. Also, its really strange that the windows appear to be tinted, or to have had a dark background. I dunno, something just seems fishy.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I am going to have to disagree with the both of you. Your concerns can be accounted for.

1. The shadow is clear and crisp because it is being followed by the camera and at that exact second is what it look like. The front end of the car is coming down, mayby with in 12 inches of ground. Also if you notice that the shadow is somewhat blurred near the edges, it is not a hard crisp line.

2. The intense sunlight can be attibuted to the partially cloudy conition and not the complete cloudy condition you think you see. Myself living in SoCal caan tell you how bright it gets on a partially cloudy day when the sun is not behind a cloud. It is very possible to have the background be darker than the can because I have seen it before. Where I am standing in blinding sunlight and an area 6 feet away is shaded by a cloud.

3. The windows may very well have a tint to them.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts

It's real, no photoshop work. Just keep in mind the photographer is a seasoned veteran, and his camera and lens cost as much or more than a new Focus!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry guys, I didn't think I would start such a controversy. The more I think about it, the more I think it is real. The picture did come from the offical WRC site, so that alone gives the picture credibility in my eyes.
Either way I think the picture kicks ass - fake or not. Who wouldn't want to drive an EVO like that, right?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Sorry guys, I didn't think I would start such a controversy. The more I think about it, the more I think it is real. The picture did come from the offical WRC site, so that alone gives the picture credibility in my eyes.
Either way I think the picture kicks ass - fake or not. Who wouldn't want to drive an EVO like that, right?
I would want to drive an EVO like that.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

It's real, no photoshop work. Just keep in mind the photographer is a seasoned veteran, and his camera and lens cost as much or more than a new Focus!
Its not the equipment as much as the photographic technique that allows for a shot like that to be made. I wasn't saying that it wasn't faked as much as it as a total photographic possibility. The only way to find out is to find out who the photographer was and get him on the board!!!

CCC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts