Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys when i go turbo i am getting 42lb injectors for fuel upgrade so would this maf work, i think it would web page

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Should work if it's calibrated for your injector size, but it still might require some tuning to make it run right.

And you will need tuning anyway.

·
Registered
993 Posts
for what engine displacement is this thing calibrated to those injector sizes?

42# injectors on a 6 or 8 cylinder is a helluva lot more HP than 42# injectors on a 4 banger.

what are your horsepower number are you shooting for? anything under 200, an SVT focus MAF will do you fine, and anything over 200, you can get just a regular mustang GT MAF.

I believe this particular MAF is too big for your application, and you can save some trouble and coin by going OEM.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i need something calibrated for 42# which is what ill be using with my custom turbo kit. would a 70mm off of a mustang calibrated for 19# v8 work good with my 42's on my zetec

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what will work, where do i buy ti and how much. ill spend the money to do it right i just need to knwo waht to get

·
Registered
895 Posts
You do NOT need the maf calibrated for any injector size. You can account for this in your tuning - both Diablo and SCT allow you to modify injector settings properly and from there it's just messing with your mass air function.

Furthermore, the aftermarket MAF sensors have a lot larger margin of error in their measurement. You would be much better off getting either a Mustang GT or a Lightning MAFS and taking care of the injector size with your tuning. You can get either of those from a junkyard or an oem reseller if you prefer brand new.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't recommend the lightning MAF... you have to make at least 400 HP to warrant one of those monsters.

like I said, if you're shooting for about 200WHP, an SVT MAF will do you.. if you're going slightly more than that, a Mustang GT one will do ya.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You do NOT need the maf calibrated for any injector size.
Thanks Petik. I have gotten so blue in the face from repeating that I just couldn't do it again... but after reading it on FF, again, I made it a new signature yesterday.

... anyhow, I just installed the sensor from a 90mm Lightning MAF last night. I welded a new plate to the side of my 3" intake tubing, and dropped the sensor head in - the two screws that hold the sensor head are spaced closer together on the Lightning MAF than some other Ford MAFs so I had to fab the new plate. I discarded the 90mm tube.

I will be installing some 60 pound injectors later this morning, then tuning the rest of the day.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't recommend the lightning MAF... you have to make at least 400 HP to warrant one of those monsters.
it's all about what enclosure you end up using. i wouldn't not recommend using any oem enclosure unless you can guarantee a decent length of straight pipe before and after the enclosure so you're not getting any turbulence. i would actually recommend getting a higher resolution maf (like the lighting) and putting it in a smaller enclosure. that way you get the high precision & accuracy of the lightning maf, while still having it only go up to maybe 250whp.

Thanks Petik. I have gotten so blue in the face from repeating that I just couldn't do it again... but after reading it on FF, again, I made it a new signature yesterday.
Yea, I learned the hard way about how crappy the pro-m maf sensors are and will never go back to aftermarket.

... anyhow, I just installed the sensor from a 90mm Lightning MAF last night. I welded a new plate to the side of my 3" intake tubing, and dropped the sensor head in - the two screws that hold the sensor head are spaced closer together on the Lightning MAF than some other Ford MAFs so I had to fab the new plate. I discarded the 90mm tube.
So is the Lightning and Mustang GT sensor bolt pattern the same? I know the bolt pattern on my ZX3 MAFS housing is not the same as the one on the Mustang GT one - I had to fab up a housing with a lot of help from Mr JB Weld

1 - 14 of 14 Posts