Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered many times, but for some reason I havent read a post that has given a good answer. Here it goes, I have a 2000 zx3 and want to know what is better an aem cai or the volant, this is for normal driving and a once in a while street race. UDP a exaust will be put in in the future.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i posted this like aweek and a half ago and never really got a full answer,,,,but from what i did dig up,,aem cai makes more power on top,,,and i guess both systems are bout the same on the bottom part for power...i just decided on getting an aem cai puttin a bypass valve in and gettin a heat/splash gaurd for the filter to keep water from directly hittin the filter...

·
Registered
859 Posts

Volant all the way

BTW, what is a street race??

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
read the guidelines for you register...SR is not tolerated here in any form...and even before the powers that be put the kaibash on your thread...you'll hear an earful from people like me! take it to the track and your alright w/me

welcome,

-Ult

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I think the volant and AEM are of equal performance if the volant is mounted correctly. If you put a scoop in the hood where the volant meets, then you are doing the same thing as the AEM, getting outside air. If you dont have a scoop, then yes the AEM will get better gains. but I dont see any reason the volant w/ scoop isnt a better option. it isnt a puddlesucker, it has less bends to travel thru and the filter isnt directly exposed to the outside elements. especially on the bottom where all the road grime is.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
oops someone asked it again

Sorry had to do it.
Theres always the Iceman system too....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
hahahah ice man is like street racing ITS [censored] GAY

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dyno tested the Aem cold air intake and the Iceman intake back to back on my 00 focus some time ago.

The Aem cold air intake actually lost a good amount of torque on the lower end, but gained like 1 hp over the iceman intake on the higher end.

Overall, I highly recommend the Iceman intake. I know its not as good looking as the Aem, and because it follows the factory routing some people think it wont perform, but thats wrong. I have the dyno sheets around here to prove it, and I know first hand that the Iceman intake worked well for us.

Id recommend the Volant or the Iceman intake. Especially if you have an automatic btw, as the autoamtic needs as much lower end torque as it can get..

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
oh thank you i try to do my part to keep the wannabe mods on there toes

keep up the good work

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I like the Volant. I first had the AEM but it is now gone. If you do get the AEM be very careful in the rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts