Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It\'s all GUDE.

Just wanted to give you all a little update on my cams. As some of you may know I am running the Gude street/strip cams and I love the power that they make. The only problem that I have with them is that the lash caps that I have on are not the right size thus creating a ton of noise and the fact that the cams don't kick in till about 4000 rpm. Now that is great if you are running the 1320 but not ideal for the typical everyday driving that I do. Also it's hurting me on the auto-x courses too.

From what I can tell there is nothing wrong with these cams. After installing them I hit the dyno and to my suprise I hit 141HP and 124TQ.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid15/p2846cd9bdcb37c30d198956d70cc31d9/fde5092b.jpg.orig.jpg
The TQ was bothering me a bit but that was without any tuning so I know that there was more to be had. After a few pulls on the dyno I hit the track and ran an impressive 15.7 @ 88.7 MPH.
Keep in mind that was without tuning.

Since then I have added the FC race header and the FS flex pipe. I have dyno's at 146HP and 131TQ with a 1320 of 15.1 @ 91.7 It think. I have to find the paper of those though. All in all I'm happy with the combo that I have selected. Now for the suspension.

Thanks for listening if you are still awake. LOL

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: It\'s all GUDE.

grrrrrrrrr.... I sooooo need a race header now. Anyone wanna contribute to the "John's Raceheader fund?"

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

do you have full interior tho?

·
Registered
433 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by speedy_zx3:
do you have full interior tho?<hr></blockquote>

YES...FULL

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FocusedOne:
uhhh...something is wrong with those times ....

for comparison i had 122hp and pulled a 15.7
my friend [frenchconnection] pulled off a 15.4 with 133ish HP...

go figure!
<hr></blockquote>

Id say it was mainly due to that disgusting TQ Curve..

·
Registered
830 Posts

I have the same cams and I have 137lb of torque, and it is flat, nothing like yours...

also my power kick in earlier. 3000rpms.

maybe you want to tune the cams for more torque.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

Wanna trade? I have 126HP and 131TQ.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by french_connection:
I have the same cams and I have 137lb of torque, and it is flat, nothing like yours...

also my power kick in earlier. 3000rpms.

maybe you want to tune the cams for more torque.
<hr></blockquote>

Remember I have the wrong lash caps on there. Also I have tried to tune them better and that's all I get. I also have the old JAF6 computer program. I'm thinking if I get it flashed to JAF8 and recalibrate the chip I can squeeze a HP or 2 out of it.

·
Registered
830 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zx3ford:

Remember I have the wrong lash caps on there. Also I have tried to tune them better and that's all I get. I also have the old JAF6 computer program. I'm thinking if I get it flashed to JAF8 and recalibrate the chip I can squeeze a HP or 2 out of it.
<hr></blockquote>

well, I guess I have the wrong lash cap too because those valves make some outta this world noise. I have JFA8 code with a stock diablo too.

have you notice my dyno stop at 6000rpms
from 6000 to 7000 is still unknown to me but I know it still pull very very hard up there.

when I tuned my cams I had to go pass the adjusteable marks to find the power. I have SHM cams gear that go till 5 degrees with marks, I made extra marks and ended up at -6intake and -10 exaust. If I dont retard the exaust to the maximum the whole power drop. so retarded it will be forever

·
Registered
830 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Russell:
Grrr

:
:
:
:
:
V
<hr></blockquote>

you know, you are hilarious russel! you have 151 whp and you still grawl... lol. you should fit a rocket on that focus instead of an engine...

ever tought of a 50 shot wet for the strip. I am getting one for next season

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

6-7l is cool but I'm never up there. That's my problem. I have the Kent Cam gears set at 0, and -2 I think. So adjusting the power that way won't help. I lost a ton of HP TQ when we went any further then that. I just wish that I was closer to the chip guy so that I could have him ork his magic.

·
Registered
803 Posts

I just think that the grind on the GUDE cams is just too much, especially for a reground cam. Just seems like other cams (Crower, Crane, Etc...) aren't losing torque as bad as the Gude cams are.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by spankenstein:
I just think that the grind on the GUDE cams is just too much, especially for a reground cam. Just seems like other cams (Crower, Crane, Etc...) aren't losing torque as bad as the Gude cams are.<hr></blockquote>

I have noticed that too. I'm in the process of talking to Gude and seeing what their milder cams are gonna do.

·
Registered
433 Posts

uhhh...something is wrong with those times ....

for comparison i had 122hp and pulled a 15.7
my friend [frenchconnection] pulled off a 15.4 with 133ish HP...

go figure!

·
Registered
830 Posts

the torque can be found by retarding the exaust further more. I have tons of torque over people with crower or kent...

dont blame the grind, blame the tuning...

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by french_connection:
the torque can be found by retarding the exaust further more. I have tons of torque over people with crower or kent...

dont blame the grind, blame the tuning...
<hr></blockquote>

We tried all over the place. It's the grind.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Marc, I have Lash Caps at my place for you!

But setting the valve lash is a HUGE time consuming PITA! We put the spacers in your car, but Nick gave me the stockers and in the boxes is where I had put the extra lash caps. They have different thickness' so you have to play around with them to see what works!

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Jays2000ZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
830 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jays2000ZX3:
Marc, I have Lash Caps at my place for you!

But setting the valve lash is a HUGE time consuming PITA! We put the spacers in your car, but Nick gave me the stockers and in the boxes is where I had put the extra lash caps. They have different thickness' so you have to play around with them to see what works!

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Jays2000ZX3 ]
<hr></blockquote>

good to know, now that I have done 15 000 kms with them on...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts