Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it\'s been asked before but...

i'm just a punk and want my own thread about it.

what sort of cams could i be/should i be running and still be safe with the auto? also, what should i do at the same time as the cams to save on labor time/costs.

current mods:
iceman,itg foam panel, esslinger UDP, bosal catback.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: it\'s been asked before but...

Time/Money Saver = Cams/cam gears at same time.

I've been running Crower stage 2's for 25000 miles now.fun!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

all the other punks i know use 3/4 crower race cams
....use what u want, just make it a steet or mild strip cam, not too high of a duration...but its for what u want it for. pick up throttle body and port match the manifold and some FC cam gears too...need air for those cams

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

bought the fidanza gears a few days back, i'm just waiting to do cams/gears at the same time.

what cams will give me some hp without losing tq, or little loss if any?

also, john, what was that about titanium springs/retainers you mentioned on AIM a few weeks ago?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

auto, lots of tq, and some hp....then crane (ne ford racing) stg 2 or 3. the ford racing versions (almost identical 2 cranes) r available at www.mcnewsautomotive.com 4 about 345 bux, ur choice.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

well I know that I want to install those down the road. It's just that I'm a little wary about removing the head to change them.

Seriously though, I would reccommend you get the stage 1 crowers and a full exhaust to take advantage of all that air..

I lost a lot of top end, but my car screams above 3500.

With the stage 1's you'll get basically get a stronger feeling engine, but with all it's faults... power drop off at the higher revs kind of thing.

I rode in my car and djvash's car (he has stage 1 cams) and his felt great.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

what exactly caused you to lose top end???

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

the Stage 1's are designed toward more of an increase in the lower [to mid??] range power. I haven't had any personal experience with them so I can't tell if you lose power up top per se. But I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you exactly.

Stage 2's are designed to increase top end power.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
And increase they do!

Ever notice that when you're driving your car around 60 on the freeway and you want to pass someone? So you punch the accel, kicksdown and your revs climb. Well on stock you just sorta feel the car does not want to go faster. It creeps to 70.

On my car... well let's just say the 105 speedlimiter comes a little too quickly.

One thing:
YOu will NOT feel much improvement with the cams (regardles of choice). You'll feel "some" improvement.... not quite the hype that you've heard. You'll be super fast on the freeway, but off the line you'll feel the same.

I installed my mods in reverse order. All intake and no exhaust first.

I added the cams and cam gears. "eh. feels good, but I was expecting more".

I installed my Borla. "Whoa, I feel it more now."

I installed my Raceheader and flexpipe. "Holy hell whoa. That's a fast auto."

Seriously, until I freed up my exhaust, you'll have all this air and it won't be going anywhere.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just wondering, what's your total mod list, and what are you running on the track?

·
Registered
222 Posts

I dont have an auto but i do have the crower 2's and at first i noticed a loss in torque, so i droped the stock exhaust cam back in and it is a blats to drive. my low end torque is back!!!

i am going to the track tonight and will let you know what it does, this is the first time with the cams but they are still not tuned.

geoff

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

as requested (see sig)
also my best at MIlan Dragway was
16.1 while averaging 16.2-16.4
(yes I have an auto) I estimate 130hp at the wheels +- 2whp

[ 12-06-2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

Originally posted by redneckZX3:
I dont have an auto but i do have the crower 2's and at first i noticed a loss in torque, so i droped the stock exhaust cam back in and it is a blats to drive. my low end torque is back!!!

i am going to the track tonight and will let you know what it does, this is the first time with the cams but they are still not tuned.

geoff
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thats the 1st i've heard of that combination. give us a report. always curious when some1 does somethin seemingly 'off the wall'. it feels familar lol.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

And increase they do!

Ever notice that when you're driving your car around 60 on the freeway and you want to pass someone? So you punch the accel, kicksdown and your revs climb. Well on stock you just sorta feel the car does not want to go faster. It creeps to 70.

On my car... well let's just say the 105 speedlimiter comes a little too quickly.

One thing:
YOu will NOT feel much improvement with the cams (regardles of choice). You'll feel "some" improvement.... not quite the hype that you've heard. You'll be super fast on the freeway, but off the line you'll feel the same.

I installed my mods in reverse order. All intake and no exhaust first.

I added the cams and cam gears. "eh. feels good, but I was expecting more".

I installed my Borla. "Whoa, I feel it more now."

I installed my Raceheader and flexpipe. "Holy hell whoa. That's a fast auto."

Seriously, until I freed up my exhaust, you'll have all this air and it won't be going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by redneckZX3:

geoff
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thats the 1st i've heard of that combination. give us a report. always curious when some1 does somethin seemingly 'off the wall'. it feels familar lol.

-Ult
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">spankenstein did the same thing a while back. He liked the way it felt I think.

I believe that while you do get your low-end torque back, you do lose some top end and peak hp. It's like having stage 1 cams.

·
Registered
921 Posts

That make me sick! No offense to anyone with an auto (I have one too that's why I'm pissed) but come on! Shiva has done a bunch of mods for what? 16.1's??!! Really now Ford ripped us with this awful tranny. Shift kit please!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts