Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i'm kinda tired of the whole loud tuner car thing, but it doesn't really make sense to sell the Focus, because it's a practical, efficent, likeable car, and it's paid for. To this end, i've decided that I want to change it up a bit. Instead of a loud, slow, tuner-y car, I want a sporty daily driver that doesn't advertise the fact that it is modifed.

What I have:
FC Intake
FS Plug wires
JBA Header
FC High Flow
FC Flex
Bosal Cat back
Eibach Pro-System
Kumho rubber
and some ICE.

Complaints about the current setup:
-Bosal muffler is ugly. Looks like I welded an Ebay muffler on.
-JBA + high flow is boomy and loud to the point that I can't bring it to redline off a track without risking negative action by other motorists/cops/other tuners. Doesn't sound too good, either, and won't pass smog.
-Eibach suspension setup makes the car feel heavy, understeers a lot, and is too bouncy. Allignment was never quite right either, but it hasn't presented itself as an issue yet.

What i'm thinking of changing:
-JBA Header/Cat to stock/stock.
-Bosal cat back to FS stealth
-Eibach Pro system to SVT kit from FRPP.
-Add: UDP, Cam gears, and maybe an SCT chip.

Thoughts? Subsitutions? I'm open to anything as long as it isn't too loud, too rough, or won't pass smog.

Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I say your right on with the exhaust changes. Go back to stock exhaust Mani and Cat and get the Stealth Exhaust. Sell your parts and use that money on more go fast goodies to replace the power lost when going back to stock Manifold.

Keep the suspension and just deal with it.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Alright, i'm kinda tired of the whole loud tuner car thing, but it doesn't really make sense to sell the Focus, because it's a practical, efficent, likeable car, and it's paid for. To this end, i've decided that I want to change it up a bit. Instead of a loud, slow, tuner-y car, I want a sporty daily driver that doesn't advertise the fact that it is modifed.

What I have:
FC Intake
FS Plug wires
JBA Header
FC High Flow
FC Flex
Bosal Cat back
Eibach Pro-System
Kumho rubber
and some ICE.

Complaints about the current setup:
-Bosal muffler is ugly. Looks like I welded an Ebay muffler on.
-JBA + high flow is boomy and loud to the point that I can't bring it to redline off a track without risking negative action by other motorists/cops/other tuners. Doesn't sound too good, either, and won't pass smog.
-Eibach suspension setup makes the car feel heavy, understeers a lot, and is too bouncy. Allignment was never quite right either, but it hasn't presented itself as an issue yet.

-JBA Header/Cat to stock/stock.
-Bosal cat back to FS stealth
-Eibach Pro system to SVT kit from FRPP.
-Add: UDP, Cam gears, and maybe an SCT chip.

Thoughts? Subsitutions? I'm open to anything as long as it isn't too loud, too rough, or won't pass smog.

Thanks.
For your complaints:

1. Yes, the Bosal looks like CRAP. I've hated that thing since I first saw it. The stock SVT catback flows great, is a lot quieter, and looks fantastic.

2. The SVT catback will quiet things down substantially without losing much power (if any.) However, the shorty header/HFC sounds terrible in general and doesn't give much in terms of power gains vs. a real race header. A long tube header will change the tone of the exhaust (smoother) and will give substantially better power gains.

3. SVT suspension (am I starting to sound like a broken record?) is a great value for the money.

4. An UPD, cam gears, and SCT chip would be a great addition to your car. Throw in proper dyno tuning for the gears and chip and you should pick up a substantial power increase. I would say you will easily double your overall power gains with those mods.

Something else to consider: the FC intake is an open intake system and is pretty loud in itself. For a good chunk of change you could gain some more power with the Pipercross Venom closed system ( www.mcnewsautomotive.com ) For just a little money you could find a used SVT airbox and snorkle and throw in an ITG panel filter. Either way your car will be much quieter.

Nate

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well,the set up you want to go to is similar to what I have now.The lone exception is that I also have a intake cam.I think you would be very happy with that set up.I know I am.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts
I wouldn't go with the SVT suspension, I have a feeling you're going to be "disapointed" compared to the Eibach setup.

I almost think my Pro-Kit drop isn't low enough, and I can hardly tell a difference from stock to the svt setup. Keep the suspension setup you have.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I highly recommend the SVT suspension. If you're not after looks, it's excellent. I went from the Eibach Pro-System to the SVT kit and love my new handling balance.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
hmmm, guess its really preference...because i have eibach and have for 2years and absolutley love it with my 18's

driven in a svt and thought it was way too bouncy and not sharp enough...maybe u just need to correct the alingment/camber for some reason

but bosal is ugly...i suggest SVT, i have Borla and it gives u a nice low (an i mean low, people think V6 or V8 before 4banger when they hear it)...but it would be too loud for you probably...Focus Sport has a sick 'stealth' exhaust which would be good

-chris

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding the SVT catback: What kind of modifications would I need to make to make that fit to an otherwise normal Zetec car? OE Ford is appealing, and if SVTF owners are replacing theirs, I can get it for pretty cheap, so it's a good option. Do they need to cut it in half to get it off the car like the normal Foci?

Regarding the suspension comments: It is alligned as close as the shop can get it to stock. They've got a good reputation around here, so i'll take their word for that.

I know suspensions are pretty subjective as far as looks/ride quality/handling go, so before I replace anything there, i'll probably go and test an SVT before I buy. Looks aren't a factor, though.

Finally - the race header. Race headers look like they're pretty easy to work with, so i'd be open to that, because it wouldn't be that hard to switch back when it needs to be smogged. However, the two issues I have with it are volume, and performance. I know the FS Stealth system has a good reputation for being quiet, but how would a race header behind that compare to, say, the Bosal with an otherwise stock system? The power question is simply whether or not i'll actually notice whatever difference it makes. I don't want to spend $400 on an academic mod, if you get my meaning...already did that with the JBA + FC cat.

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I got pulled over a lot with my SVTF for it's "loud" exhaust, I've heard aftermarket that sound more mature, not sure what brands they were, but there are clips of all of them out there.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Regarding the SVT catback: What kind of modifications would I need to make to make that fit to an otherwise normal Zetec car? OE Ford is appealing, and if SVTF owners are replacing theirs, I can get it for pretty cheap, so it's a good option. Do they need to cut it in half to get it off the car like the normal Foci?
Yes, the SVT catback needs to be cut just like any other stock catback. I took mine to a muffler shop and had them weld a 2 bolt flange where the cut had been made to make the catback a two piece that I could remove later if wanted. Other than that, the bolt holes in the flange connecting to the flex pipe need to be slotted either in the SVT catback or the flex. The SVT has a wider bolt pattern and doesn't align correctly with the standard Zetec bolts. 20 minutes with a Dremel can correct that.

All in all it's a very easy conversion.

Finally - the race header. Race headers look like they're pretty easy to work with, so i'd be open to that, because it wouldn't be that hard to switch back when it needs to be smogged. However, the two issues I have with it are volume, and performance. I know the FS Stealth system has a good reputation for being quiet, but how would a race header behind that compare to, say, the Bosal with an otherwise stock system? The power question is simply whether or not i'll actually notice whatever difference it makes. I don't want to spend $400 on an academic mod, if you get my meaning...already did that with the JBA + FC cat.

Thanks for the input so far.
A race header with an SVT catback or FS stealth will be about as loud as a normal catback (FS Sport, MBRP, Bosal, etc.) with a stock header/cat setup. At WOT the race header will make the car slightly louder, but for driving around town you won't even know it's there. With the right exhaust, a race header doesn't have to be intrusive at all.

I would bet you will notice the difference in the race header as far as power goes. The big difference is smoother acceleration and a broader power curve. The race header will do a much more efficient job of scavenging the exhaust gases and reducing exhaust turbulence compared to a short header. The longer runners will smooth the flow of the exhaust substantially. I noticed a definite gain power delivery as well as an increase in mid range power going from a shorty header/orp to an svt header/orp.

Nate

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have your JRSC on when you added the SVT header/ORP? I'm not too well versed on what works and what doesn't with FI, but i'd think that a stock style header would pose more of a restriction to an engine with FI than to one with simple bolt ons.

haha, I posted this thread trying to tune down the car and now i'm getting talked into a race header.

Regarding the SVT exhaust and cops: My exhaust now isn't exactly quiet, and i've never had issues with law enforcement with it. I guess it depends on the area. So long as it isn't louder than what I have now, it'll probably be fine - my main concern is it overpowering the stereo/conversation inside the car/etc, like my current one does.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
-JBA Header/Cat to stock/stock. ---- No, Leave them on. I have FS header and RT Cat
-Bosal cat back to FS stealth ---- Yes, Made my car much quieter.
-Eibach Pro system to SVT kit from FRPP. ---- Yes, I went from Stock to SVt and love it
-Add: UDP, Cam gears, and maybe an SCT chip. ---- All good choices

1 - 12 of 12 Posts