Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'ve got questions...got any answers?

this, being my first post, is a nice opportunity for me to say hi. i plan on posting frequently (i got lots of questions) and hopefully learning a lot. anyway, to the nitty gritty...

i've got an '03 2.3L pzev. i've got some questions that hopefully you all can help me with...

firstly...suspension. Eibach and H&R both make nice kits that are priced roughly the same (roughly, what im willing to spend) but i would like some recomendation. on MM's site they say the H&R is best for the price...agree? as far as the eibach goes, sportline vs proline...which do you say? i plan on putting the 17" 15spoke euro SVTwheels on and i want 'em to look real slickity slick in the wells...am i looking to go down 2inches or 1.5? also...i plan on lots and lots of twisty driving...not many straight aways, roll bars recommended? is the price worth it? also...is 'tower-bar, sway bar, roll-bar' all the same stuff or what?

second...shifters! steeda lists all their shifters with 'svt and zetec' applications with no mention of duratec...although i do recall reading somewhere that the gearbox is the same and it wouldnt be a problem, but i dont know for sure. if you have any input at all on shifters im all ears! focus central has some offerings that ring up very inexpensive...anyone got one? recomendations fellas...im all ears...

third...intake and exhaust. oh boy oh boy! cant wait til i knock steps 1&2 outta the way so i can get to some power! im fairly confident im going with the MM CAI just cuz his area code is 760 (as is mine) and everything i've read here and at focusfanatics is very positive(except for ship times occasionally...but w/e). if its a good product, and he's from my part of town, sure...why not! price is right too...anwyay, also lookin for exhaust. now, heres the tricky part. i HATE loud ricey exhausts with a passion. i heard the wave files on MBPR's(was that it?) website just a few minutes ago, and that sounds pretty decent. not whiney, not buzzy...good and throaty. does it last? does it sound as good with a CAI on it too? they've got a nice price point with their exhaust so, so far im leaning real heavy on MM CAI and MBPR(real sorry if i got the ackronym wrong) exhaust.

other than that im just looking for recomendations on tires...manafacturer, size, model? like i said...the euro 17" svt wheel...pretty sure its the stock width. looking for my tires to last me aprx 30k miles of 'spirited' driving...nothing too crazy (well, we'll see) and not cost a fortune. whats your favorite rubber? lemme know if you would...

well, thanks for the help guys. look forward to reading your responses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: I\'ve got questions...got any answers?

Steeda does make a STS for our car. I have one and love it. It was the first thing I changed on my car and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend MM CAI, I love the difference in power and sound it makes. I have yet to replace my exhaust but I think I am leaning towards a trubendz system because they make a 3" one. I have cams, CAI, tuning with the stock exhaust with the rear muffler removed and it is a little loud...good deep sound and burbles...but too loud. I am on my first set of Kumho 711's cheap from TireRack and I am enjoying them. They are a step down from the Pirelli tires that came stock but they have already outlasted them at less than half the price.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

my answer:
Use that "<u>Search</u>" button on the top of page

works great when used properly

Check out the Suspension forum for help with suspension
&
the Tire forum for help with tires
&
the Shift-It forum for the shifter (btw, the 2002.5+ shifter will fit your car)

This forum is just for the Duratec engine mods...

A lot of people have the MM CAI & recommend it. FocusSport is another good one. Only a few people running the K&N intake. And F2 now has an intake as well. Cosworth has one as well, but it's $$$$.
Both the F2 & Cosworth CAIs are upgradeable in the future though (removeable sleeve for the MAF sensor housing so it could run more air WITH TUNING, but you would need more than bolts on for that)

I don't know where you're from, but if you're concerned about water/hydrolock the only alternative is the Steeda Short Ram intake which is what I'm running & love.

And the MBRP exhaust will fit your car. The sound clips on MBRP's website are super old.
Here is some decent soundclips from a '05 2.0 Duratec (the exhaust wasn't installed correctly on this kid's car so that's why the tip is hanging low--NOT my car--but it should sound similar to a 2.3 Duratec):
http://cruzstyle.tripod.com

Another option for exhaust is the FS exhaust...but it's 2.25".
Most people with the 2.3 are running 2.5" exhaust so you don't have to upgrade it again later when making more power or running a header. The Duratec likes to breath thru a nice exhaust.

But for your fist bolt ons....intake & exhaust REALLY wake & liven the engine up

BTW, welcome!

·
Registered
193 Posts

Suspension:

I don't know much about suspension, not too many people do since it is a rathe complex topic. However, SVT supsension is a great idea, cheap, CIVIL, and we all know SVT handles way better than ZX3. People also speak highly of H&R cupkit, I drove a car like that and it felt good. Pretty much you have to balance between ride quality, low speed handling and high speed stability. Will it be AutoX beast, weekend track car (H&R cupkit maybe?) or you just need a firmer ride (SVT conversion will be just fine.

Engine:
Intake and exhaust is really a must, it is FREE hp. I have Marcy Motorsport intake, when I installed it the car sounded deep and "fast" and difference could be felt. All intakes are very similar, but MM seems to have some R&D behind it, and it nets some good gains proved on the dyno.

I have Borla Exhaust, it is very deep and not raspy/ricey, lot of people tell me my car sounds nice. I felt no gain due to Exhaust, but when I put the car on the dyno it showed about 8whp gain. And car gained lots of low-end torque, so exhaust is highly suggested.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

1st Suspension:
I highly like the idea of finding the svt-kit for suspension. It's low-cost and gives you everything you need.

A bigger rear sway bar makes the car a blast to drive. I have $634 invested in my suspension and It's my most favorite modification.

sway bar's go at the bottom of the suspension, and "tie" the suspension parts together... Whereas I view rear stress-bars, and strut-tower bars for making the chassis more ridgid, reducing body flex in some circumstances.

Roll bars aren't really made for focus, Roll bar's are more common on miata's, and convertibles (trucks included)
where rolling over would be bad and need protection.

Roll cages on the other hand are made for focus and are suitable for race applications.

2nd Shifters: I have nothing to say about steeda, focus-central race shifters since I've never owned one, But i hear great reviews about them all the time. I have my shifter hacksaw'd off 2.25 inches. Works for me, no more reverse-lock-out, and I have a nice momo-race shifter replica I got for $15 at autozone.

If I had the choice, I'd try Marcy Motorsports short throw shifter. I also heard something of a "narrow-gate" modification done.

3rd Intake/Exhaust.
I have MarcyMotorsports Cold Air Intake. It's great, and I don't think I'd ever remove it. (except for smog test)

Exhaust, i have Magnaflow. Many people have magnaflow exhaust installed on their cars and it's a great system. sweet deep tone. nothing close to ricey, or fart-cans.

Sorry I can't help you out with the rubber. I use kumho asx Tires, And their Life expectancy Should be 30k. (treadwear rated 420). However with my driving, my rear's are already 75% gone at 10k maybe 15k miles.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

A bigger rear sway bar can make the car a blast to drive. But making the rear bar bigger isn't a guaranteed way to make the car handle better. Strut tower bars don't really do anything for the Focus, because it's already fairly stiff.

In racing temrs, the only difference between a roll bar and a roll cage is how many places it connects to the body. A cage will help stiffen the chassis more than a bar because it connects in more than 4 places.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

yea, the only time I hear of a strut-tower bar being beneficial Is when the car is coming up a driveway at 45 degrees.. real slow.

Supposedly you can feel the difference of the bar being in place under those circumstances... On the road, on with the Hood open, It's just for show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts