Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yep, similar rear ends, which in my opionion is good, and notice the rear doors, RX-8 style. I still want to see a wagon with this rear end.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
no thats the next S-type, and it look like it will have a coupe.

I really like it, its a relaxed-sport-luxury.

who'd a thunk it a Jag hatchback.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Why must we lust after what we cannot obtain?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Isn't next S getting its own platform, something like a scaled down XJ, even in aluminium?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
LUXURY car maker Jaguar stunned Europe's largest motor show in Frankfurt today (Tuesday, September 9) by unveiling its smallest ever four-seater model.

The diesel-powered sports coupe, codenamed R-D6, is a concept car to gauge the reaction of the motor trade and public.

But if the sexy, sleek sportster is well acclaimed it could mean more business for Jaguar's Halewood factory.

Halewood already makes the X-Type range, including the company's first diesel, as well as an estate version and it has been handed the new Land Rover Freelander to make.

A Halewood spokeswoman declined to comment today: "We are showing it to judge reaction. There are no plans to put it into production at the moment."

The car is mainly made out of aluminium and bristles with innovative features including back doors that open to the rear.

It is about the size of a Ford Focus and the smallest four-seater Jaguar has ever created. While bosses stress the car is only a design concept many of the R-D6's features are likely to make their way into production models.

Mike Wright, Jaguar managing director, said: "We wanted to showcase the latest technology in lightweight vehicle structures."

Powered by a twin turbocharged 2.7 litre V6 diesel engine and combined with lightweight aluminium construction the R-D6 boasts near supercar performance, accelerating from 0 to 60mph in less than six seconds with a top speed electronically restricted to 155mph.

The car has a starter button concealed in the top of the gear lever and an instrument panel with a retractable LCD screen which uses advanced "shutter" technology that allows passengers to watch a DVD while all the driver can see is information about essential driving functions.
S-Type gets this engine next year.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It looks simila to the chrysler crossfire. I like it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, similar rear ends, which in my opionion is good, and notice the rear doors, RX-8 style. I still want to see a wagon with this rear end.
I think the rear doors were stolen from the saturn

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
biker, what platform will the next S be built on?
The rumor is a platform based on the New Alloy XJ but with a Steel and alluminum structure, a all steel X-type would spring from the NEw S-type platform. Not to be shared with any Ford product.

They should be nice if they can make money.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06231748

Call it radical if you must, just realize this snug four-door concept with rear-hinging doors and an E-type-inspired side-hinging tailgate may indicate much of Jaguar’s future design and engineering direction.

Jag would like to put the entire body style on its wish list, but executives say there are higher priorities in the queue. The XK replacement and new S-Type will, however, incorporate significant design cues from the R-D6—the rear lights for the XK and
nose treatment for the S-Type.

The R-D6 oozes drama, with the appearance of “whiskers”—combined air intake/fog lamp details under the headlights—add- ing a welcome tone of aggression to the familiar Jag face. The tight overhangs, metalwork pulled tautly around the wheels and ground-hugging stance all point to an aggressive new look for future production sedans.

The R-D6 also tells the world that Jaguar can be clever with its new, riveted-alloy body structure. Engineers have sliced nearly eight inches from the XJ’s wheelbase
to make this concept, and a similar trick will create the structure for the next XK.

The concept’s powerplant actually lends the R-Type concept its D6 designation. D6 refers to the V6 turbodiesel that will power the S-Type next autumn. It makes 250 hp and 361 lb-ft of torque in the concept, but will be closer to 200 hp in production. That might not read sexy on a spec sheet, but a 155-mph limited top speed and sub-six-second 0-to-60 mph—with 30 mpg—are numbers to talk about.

·
Registered
729 Posts
its funny how ford owns mazda and jag....well not really,,,but still,,,the back looks like an rx8,,,the cab lines look rx8,,,,i think its safe to say same platform,,,

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
its funny how ford owns mazda and jag....well not really,,,but still,,,the back looks like an rx8,,,the cab lines look rx8,,,,i think its safe to say same platform,,,
No, it is a shortened XJ platform.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts