Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ninjas>Pirates
603 Posts
I do all of my own fiberglass work as I think most of us do as we're all poor plus working with fiberglass is pretty easy if you take your time and plan carefully. What are you looking to get done?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I do all of my own fiberglass work as I think most of us do as we're all poor plus working with fiberglass is pretty easy if you take your time and plan carefully. What are you looking to get done?
QFT

VisualFX here in orange Park does really nice custom work, but I don't think you wanna wait 6 months, or have a bill of at least 2-3K. Like Jem said, a lot of us have done fiberglassing. What are you looking to do?

·
Go ahead - ask me how Chalz' huge, bulging, fearle
3,240 Posts
Add me to the list. I've done quite a lot of stuff in composites. Whatcha need made?

·
"Shut Up man, get on my horse"
3,634 Posts
^^ my name in really cute letters, pink :)

Armanda, Zukic, or Armanda Zukic

Just kidding :lol:

·
3,240 Posts
We only have pre-preg. So you're going to need a big damned freezer to store it in......unless you want a big solid roll of CF, in which case just leave it in your garage and wait about two days.

You'll also need to come up with an extremely large sum of money for me so I may continue to enjoy my current quality of life once I get out of a federal "pound me in the ass" prison for stealing from the United States Navy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We only have pre-preg. So you're going to need a big damned freezer to store it in......unless you want a big solid roll of CF, in which case just leave it in your garage and wait about two days.

You'll also need to come up with an extremely large sum of money for me so I may continue to enjoy my current quality of life once I get out of a federal "pound me in the ass" prison for stealing from the United States Navy.
nothing screams pound me in the ass like leavenworth

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested in eventually redoing my dash, inner door panels, back hatch panel, and some custom stuff for speakers/subs in the trunk.

How difficult is it to learn to do? I'm a fast learner on just about anything. And how much should I be expecting to pay for someone else to do or help out?

·
Registered
431 Posts
fiberglass work is very expensive to have done but it isn't super hard just very time consuming

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm interested in eventually redoing my dash, inner door panels, back hatch panel, and some custom stuff for speakers/subs in the trunk.

How difficult is it to learn to do? I'm a fast learner on just about anything. And how much should I be expecting to pay for someone else to do or help out?
Hehehe.... :lol:

Have fun. I've attempted a few of those... Its not very fun. I can't really see the dash, or the rear hatch panel having fiberglass done on them, they're plastic. Only way to get around that is make a fiberglass replacement, which is no fun at all.

Inner door panels, you can do, because the fiberglass will stick to the vinyl type stuff they use to make the skin on the door. The actual door panel itself is plastic too though.

And of course, custom speakers/sub in the rear are going to be the easiest, because you start from scratch, and you don't have to mold it to anything.

Fiberglassing reminds me of paper mache. Its really messy at first, but then it dries and you can sand it, paint it and make it look cool.

Dowel pins, MDF board, a stretchy fabric and fiberglass sheets/resin is all you really need to get started. The process is pretty self-explanatory as well.
Read this-
http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-006/default.asp

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
Well after seeing no custom fiberglass parts in his car any time I've seen it.....I'd guess no :lol:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think a single 10" sub molded into the side of the hatch would look nice. Kinda like the ones they sell from Crutchfield but without the $600 price tag.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a shot attention span, so no. The closest I came to completing one was when I had half a fiberglass replacement door panel, and then threw it away. (Hence why I have no drivers side door panel)

I did help my bro make a fiberglass rear seat delete, and we also made a pretty cool sphere sub enclosure that holds a 12" sub, that could be painted as an 8-ball or the death star.

Rick used to have a couple vinyl wrapped sub enclosures in his hatch, but both of them were scrapped. I still remember sniffing too many fumes from those projects. :lol: I think the one he has now is half fiberglass.

Oh yeah, and I deleted the o-**** bars out of my headliner with some fiberglassing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Now I'm curious. Where would I have to go online for supplies?

·
3,240 Posts
Panels are difficult because they have to be attached to precise points when they're done. They also have clearance issues that other pieces don't. The easiest way to redo a panel or dash is to re-skin it in fiberglass....which is not an easy undertaking in itself. If you want some ideas of how to make quality fiberglass pieces, take a look at alpine's website. They have build threads showing step by step detail of frame work, grill clothing, glass lay up, filling, sanding, painting, ect. Their build thread of their custom center seat Civic Si is long gone which is a real shame. It had wonderful detail of custom fiberglass work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts