Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
can't SVTF do 154mph w/ their speed governor in place?

141.803 seems kinda slow compared to other focuses out there.

I know that the records are 2 x 1mile stretch and then an average of the 2. the car much turn around under its own power and make a return run. correct?

but like...Tom's super drag car does like 123mph in 1320 feet...20mph less then this world speed record car.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
well, this is a production class record. i don't know what kinds of rules there are for the class, but that probably has something to do with it.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
2000 Ford Focus - JBA Land Speed Record Setter
Vehicle Description

This is the historic Ford Focus racer built by JBA Racing (San Diego, CA) that set a new land speed record in G-production at Bonneville Speedweek in 2000 of 141.803 mph. The car is in as-raced condition - excellent. This car could sit in a museum or go back to Bonneville for another record. Race car features: JBA Racing Engines built 13:1 2.0L Zetec I-4 , JBA 4-1 Long tube race header, Euro Carb Intake with dual Webbers, Electromotive Ignition, Nology Ignition Wires, Autopower roll bar and safety equipment, Progress Auto sport springs, Autometer gauges, Energy Suspensions polyurethane bushings, B & M Edge shifter, Fire suppression system, M/T tires, Mooneyes disc wheel covers, push bar, smoothed and filled roof. car comes with spare transmission and misc parts. Not street legal. Quote from original press release: San Diego, August 17, 2000 – JBA Racing and its 2001 Ford Focus set a new land speed record for G-Production vehicles when it averaged 141.803 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. On its final run on the fourth day of racing during Speed Week, the JBA Racing Ford team succeeded in breaking the second oldest standing record at Bonneville, set back in 1973 by a rotary-powered Mazda. Piloted by driver Bruce Tucker, the Focus set a new class record in G-Production. JBA Racing, the engineering arm of JBA Headers and a subsidiary of Automotive Engineered Products, Inc., developed the 2001 Ford Focus station wagon for competition in this year’s Bonneville time trials. Working together with Ford Motor Company, the program demonstrates the performance potential of the new Focus platform and showcases the new products currently available from JBA and other automotive aftermarket manufacturers and suppliers. Car was featured in Super Street, Sport Compact Car, HCI, Tuner Shop and many other magazines. Displayed at the 2000 SEMA show in Las Vegas, Anaheim International Auto Show, Hot Import Daze, Autofest and countless shows throughout 2000. Well documented history.

seems slow to me. i've seen SVTs that dgo faster

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts

I know that the records are 2 x 1mile stretch and then an average of the 2. the car much turn around under its own power and make a return run. correct?

but like...Tom's super drag car does like 123mph in 1320 feet...20mph less then this world speed record car.
Svt's are governed like every other focus but take it away and i imagine they are capeable of that albeit pretty unstable aero wise

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts

Svt's are governed like every other focus but take it away and i imagine they are capeable of that albeit pretty unstable aero wise
I don't know....without going into how, I know aero became a problem at 135-140ish... It just doesn't have the power to keep going up past that when you take aero and all that other technical stuff into consideration.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've taken my zx3 past what the speedo can read on a closed strech of road. I'm not quite sure what that would come out to as the speedo isn't too acurate that high. That was also with around 205-210whp though.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Are we sure about this? I recall that the SVT Focus had no speed limiter. SVT doesn't put speed limiters on their cars.

>8^)
ER

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Are we sure about this? I recall that the SVT Focus had no speed limiter. SVT doesn't put speed limiters on their cars.

>8^)
ER

Right from the govenor himself.

·
Registered
933 Posts

>8^)
ER

Right from the govenor himself.

Great pic!
Yea No governer on the SVT

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
and idiot non informed post of the day goes to

ME
I coulda sworn they were like all others, shows what i know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts