Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i gotta ? for those who know a few things about our engines,alright i have a jba street header now (not installed) and i dont know if i should get the fc offroad pipe or the fc hi flow cat, what do you guys suggest, will the off road pipe just bolt up and would i have to buy any extra sensors so my cel doesnt come on. another thing which combo will get me better performance.
-Ryan

·
Registered
417 Posts
i currently have the jba header with off road pipe... seems good to me... i would say only go with the cat if you are worried about smogging. and you can always swap back to the cat if you need to get it smogged or are taking it back to the dealer for anything. by the way, what are the laws back in iowa in regards to emissions? i am currently living in cali, but my license is still from iowa, (only out here for the air force). thought about switching my car registration back to iowa... i know they cant be as strict as cali, but just curious what the smog laws are... thanks

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
shorty headers have been notorious 4 killin stock cats...so i advise that replace ur stock cat w/somethin (ORP or high flow) and save ur stock cat 4 the sniffer tests.

-Ult

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
honestly SPEEDKILLS i have no idea what are laws are on emmisions, all i no is that were not supposed to mess with the cat: did you have to get a flex pipe or anything to go with the pipe or any sensors?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ray! you been a big help.
-Ryan R.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i've got the jba shortie and the random tech cat...great combo..passes emissions too

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have got the JBA, ORP and thermal exhaust. This will be loud (I have 2 tickets to prove it). I order a new FC cat from myfordperformance to hopefully quiet the car down and still get good performance. Works great and easy to install.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was checking into pricing and if i get the ORP with a flex pipe and o2 cheaters it will cost more then getting the hi flow cat, and with the hi flow cat i will be emmisions legal, but a few notes quieter. would i really benifit from the flex pipe.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you get the offroad pipe, you should get the MIL Eliminator "O2 Cheater" to prevent the CEL.

Flexpipe is optional equipment, but not a bad idea while you are under there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, i think ill end up gettin the ORP with flex!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Speed Kills.....
About registration, I moved from Southern California to Panama City Florida (Tyndall AFB). No smog required here. If you ever come out this way I would reccomend getting it done in FL, plus no state income tax!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
So lets say you get the fc race headers, that removes your cat completely right, so then you would have to get a flexpipe which one ends hooks up to your headers and the other end hooks up to your exhaust. This would make a full exhaust system if you already had an aftermarket exhaust right.

But if you had shortie headers, you would have to get a hi flow cat or off road pipe, then a flex pipe to connect to the exhaust, is this correct?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jay,
This image might help you with your question... It is from the myFordFocus.com How-To Library for a cat-back kit install, so ignore the cut here part of the diagram...

So lets say you get the fc race headers, that removes your cat completely right, so then you would have to get a flexpipe which one ends hooks up to your headers and the other end hooks up to your exhaust. This would make a full exhaust system if you already had an aftermarket exhaust right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. If you bought a race header, you eliminate the catalytic convertor. You can upgrade your stock 1 7/8" flexpipe to a 2.25" or 2.5" flexpipe to match your 2.25" or 2.5" aftermarket cat-back exhaust kit.

But if you had shortie headers, you would have to get a hi flow cat or off road pipe, then a flex pipe to connect to the exhaust, is this correct?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes.

Essentially your choices for replacing the entire stock exhaust, from the manifold to the tailpipe are:

1) Long/Race header, flexpipe, cat-back exhaust kit.
2) Short/Street header, hi-flo cat, flexpipe, cat-back exhaust kit.

Hope that helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts