Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RICHMOND, Va. -- Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau was airlifted to the Medical College of Virginia on Friday after being involved in a single-car accident during the first of two practice sessions at Richmond International Raceway.

Doctors at the track told NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter that the accident has yielded the "potential for serious injuries," but Hunter was unable to provide further details.

Nadeau, driver of the No. 01 Army Pontiac, dove low into Turn 1 early in the session when the back end broke loose and sent him hard into the wall on the driver's side between Turns 1 and 2.

Hunter was uncertain whether Nadeau was conscious or not upon impact, but the driver had to be cut from the machine.

Nadeau was taken to the infield care center for some 30 minutes before being air lifted out of the track for further evaluation.

"We will keep you updated as the evening progresses and we get additional information from the hospital," Hunter said. "That's all we know right now."

Busch Series driver Jason Keller took over driving duties in the No. 01 Pontiac for Friday's final practice.

Stay tuned to NASCAR.com for further updates.

It was a nasty wreck. Very similar to the ones that killed Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin in New Hampshire. Here's hoping everything's ok with Jerry.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Man that Sucks.

He's a NICE Guy.
I'll be looking forward to further reports...

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
yea i saw that and even tho is didnt look too too serious, i guess other stuff goes on inside the ****pit. I was a big jerry fan and i hate it when one of these guys you watch every weekend gets hurt. My prayers are going out to his wife and his some what new born little girl.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE 2:30pm/et: Jerry Nadeau remained in critical condition Saturday, one day after crashing hard into a wall during Winston Cup practice at Richmond. Specifics about the 32-year-old Nadeau's injuries were still not available. NASCAR was working with officials from the hospital, Nadeau's family and team hoping to provide an update on the driver's condition later Saturday, NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said.(CNNSI/AP)(5-3-2003)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
RICHMOND, Va. - Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau, critically injured Friday during a crash during practice at Richmond International Raceway, remains in critical condition at Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center and is being treated for head, lung and rib injuries.

EDIT: they just said on the pre race that his eyes are open and his signs are improving. Head, rib and lung injuries though.

http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/wc/05/03/jnadeau_frye/index.html

[ 05-03-2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: ZX3guy182 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts