Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! For people that don't know me, my name is Blake and I reign from the great (and right now extremely cold) state of Michigan. The reason for this thread, and I'm not sure if this is the right spot for it, is that I'm planning on as of now moving out to the Phoenix area when I graduate from college in December. I'll have a degree in Civil Engineering with work experience (currently working at an engineering firm as an intern since May) and I will be on the hunt for a job as a Civil Engineer down that way.

My aunt right now works for ADOT and I'm hoping to have an in to their EIT (Engineer-In-Training) program through her, but they aren't always hiring, so I'm looking to keep my options open.

My question is, do any of you fine people know of any engineering firms or agencies that are always looking for people and might want to hire a new grad? Thanks a bunch!

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
I know nothing about Arizona, but what I did to come to MI (mechanical engineer wanting a job in automotive) is pretty similar to what you want to do.

MI has the "talent bank" or whatever they call it now, I registered on that and uploaded my resume so recruiters could see it. If AZ has something like this, get yourself on it. I also created accounts on Monster & Career Builder, uploaded my resume and made it public, and set my profile up with an address in the area I wanted a job so I turned up in local recruiter searches. Leave your Michigan address on your resume though, that way they clearly see you will be moving to AZ for a job and you'll have a better shot at getting relocation bonus money.

I got TONS of phone calls and emails from this. About half were junk (selling insurance, fast food manager positions, multi-level marketing recruitment attempts) and the other half was at least somewhat related to what I was looking for.

Talking to recruiters gave me a better idea of the job climate in the area, and it was also decent interview question practice because they all ask you a million questions (and it's usually pretty much the same questions from each recruiter). The toughest part was getting through to a recruiter that you weren't interested in a job they were trying to fill because to them you're a paycheck (recruiters typically get paid 20% of your salary when a company hires you through them). Also, talking to recruiters a few months before you actually want to move is helpful because if they're any good they will set up a profile for you in their system that will flag jobs that you're actually interested in. A lot of times recruiters know about job listings before they get posted online.

When I came up to MI, I had something like 5 interviews already scheduled for the few days after I got here. I ended up getting a job within a week. If I had been willing to fly up sooner for interviews, I would have had a job prior to moving up and would also probably have gotten a relocation bonus....but since I was already up here before I interviewed with anyone they considered me a local candidate.

The side affect of doing this is your resume will stay in the archives of these recruiting companies for YEARS, which is good and bad. The bad is they call you every few weeks even after you find a job trying to peddle entry level jobs. But the good part of this is some recruiters have a brain and realize you're not entry level anymore, and call you with job openings that need experience and pay more money. They key is to be friendly with the recruiters when they call, even if you're telling them to go away. They'll eventually call you with something you're interested in. This is exactly how I got my second (and much better) job up here, I randomly got a call from a recruiter asking if I'd be interested in a job and it turned out to be what I wanted to do.

And don't shy away from applying to a job if you don't meet all of the requirements in the job listing. I technically didn't qualify for either of my jobs....the one I have now wanted 5+ years of experience and a degree that I didn't have.

Good luck Blake

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Try Intel. Can't speak to their current hiring status though.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know nothing about Arizona, but what I did to come to MI (mechanical engineer wanting a job in automotive) is pretty similar to what you want to do.

MI has the "talent bank" or whatever they call it now, I registered on that and uploaded my resume so recruiters could see it. If AZ has something like this, get yourself on it. I also created accounts on Monster & Career Builder, uploaded my resume and made it public, and set my profile up with an address in the area I wanted a job so I turned up in local recruiter searches. Leave your Michigan address on your resume though, that way they clearly see you will be moving to AZ for a job and you'll have a better shot at getting relocation bonus money.

I got TONS of phone calls and emails from this. About half were junk (selling insurance, fast food manager positions, multi-level marketing recruitment attempts) and the other half was at least somewhat related to what I was looking for.

Talking to recruiters gave me a better idea of the job climate in the area, and it was also decent interview question practice because they all ask you a million questions (and it's usually pretty much the same questions from each recruiter). The toughest part was getting through to a recruiter that you weren't interested in a job they were trying to fill because to them you're a paycheck (recruiters typically get paid 20% of your salary when a company hires you through them). Also, talking to recruiters a few months before you actually want to move is helpful because if they're any good they will set up a profile for you in their system that will flag jobs that you're actually interested in. A lot of times recruiters know about job listings before they get posted online.

When I came up to MI, I had something like 5 interviews already scheduled for the few days after I got here. I ended up getting a job within a week. If I had been willing to fly up sooner for interviews, I would have had a job prior to moving up and would also probably have gotten a relocation bonus....but since I was already up here before I interviewed with anyone they considered me a local candidate.

The side affect of doing this is your resume will stay in the archives of these recruiting companies for YEARS, which is good and bad. The bad is they call you every few weeks even after you find a job trying to peddle entry level jobs. But the good part of this is some recruiters have a brain and realize you're not entry level anymore, and call you with job openings that need experience and pay more money. They key is to be friendly with the recruiters when they call, even if you're telling them to go away. They'll eventually call you with something you're interested in. This is exactly how I got my second (and much better) job up here, I randomly got a call from a recruiter asking if I'd be interested in a job and it turned out to be what I wanted to do.

And don't shy away from applying to a job if you don't meet all of the requirements in the job listing. I technically didn't qualify for either of my jobs....the one I have now wanted 5+ years of experience and a degree that I didn't have.

Good luck Blake
Thanks for the advice Josh! I will give that a shot a little closer to when I'm planning on making the move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts