Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this setup? I already spoke to Jackson Racing, they said the kit will fit on my 4dr SE as long as I have the ztec engine (I do). They also claim (of course they would!) the kit works with the auto trans and the trans can handle the xtra hp. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I really want a new PZEV (much more fun for commuting), but the missus isn't going for it
I can probably get away with $2600 instead of a whole new car, but I don't want to break the tranny prematurely. Thanx all!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
to put it plainly and avoid all the BS....

you WILL kill your tranny with the JRSC....just get a 5spd PZEV

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Focus ATX tranny is spec'd for 130 lbs of torque. The JSRC is spec'd at 129.5 lbs of torque on a stock engine (and, on a good day!). So, JSRC is correct that the automatic tranny SHOULD be able to handle the power. HOWEVER, if you have other mods (custom chip, header, exhaust, modified head/pistons, etc.) you COULD possibly go above the 130 lbs benchmark. Now, most car parts are actually built with at LEAST 5% tolerance, so the tranny should be able to handle a little more than 130lbs but you never know (that is why you put tolerances in to begin with -- manufacturing and installation is not uniform so the tolerances ensure that substantially all vehicles wil be able to perform at the spec'd value).

So the correct answer is: (a) with a perfectly stock vehicle, you should be fine, (b) with power adding enhancements, your are taking some minimal risk but so long as you do not exceed 137lbs of torque you will likely (but not for sure) be okay, (c) more than that, you will almost certainly shred your tranny.

Getting a transmission cooler esp. in hot climates should help prolong the life of the trans. Also, I think that Performance Automatic's overhaul kit is only about $600 and should easily solve the problem for this small amount of added power.

Of course, you also have to consider driving habits. If you frequently floor the engine, do neutral drops, etc. and esp. if you live in a hot climate, your tranny may die an early death ANYWAY and the JSRC will just hasten that death.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for your input, but isn't it the same tranny in the new PZEV (the ford p/n is the same)? If so, how do they use it with that engine as it is more powerful than a ztec? Just like to play devil's advocate. Also, the ztec is 135 ft/lb torque n/a, it's 158 ft/lb boosted w/the JRSC (maybe 130 at the wheels). Is this what you are refering to?

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes, at the wheels not at the crank.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have no idea re the PZEV. Is it really exactly the same p/n for the tranny?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a larger trans cooler (or a second installed in front of the a/c) help? I change the fluid every 20k, and the fluid still smells clean every change. I don't drop the trans into gear or race or anything like that. It's a commuter car, but I do floor it on occassion, getting on the freeway, passing cars etc., normal driving stuff. Re the tranny p/n: The guys behind the desk at my local ford dealer said it was. Visually it also looks the same, but I haven't actually pulled the parts catalog to check.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hmmm just found this post from P-51 that looks hopeful:

The 4F27E (AKA FN trans) in the PZEV has upgraded clutch material. The systems engineers are calling is 880 (vs. the old 580) or "High Energy" clutch material. This should be off the shelf if you order clutch parts specifically for the PZEV Focus. It's designed to handle the 150ft-lbs of the PZEV.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey 4dr, Iam doing this today, Thurs. will post the outcome Sat.([censored])

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, so far you are the only one to do it I have found. I spoke to the guys on the Ford Motorsport tech line. They told me they have sold several kits to auto users and none of them have called back with a problem with the auto trans. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but most people who bought it through them would call and complain to ford first if there was a problem. I also think the 130 ft/lb torque limit is a guaranteed limit. Kinda like a warranty, they only guarantee it for so long, but many go a lot further. I don't think that at that 130 limit it works fine right up to it and as soon as you pass it, it all goes to #hit. Look back on the old c4 and c6 trans. The c4 wasn't as strong as the c6, but you could still put one behind a strong engine w/out much trouble. I dunno, I don't torture my trans, so I think i'm more inclined to try.
If anyone with this setup has had any problems, please let me know, and also how hard you are on the trans (autox, dags, etc.). Finalley, I'd love to see how yours works
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I got my JR from Northcoat Performance,best price Ifound. RE:Hard on trans., look at my mods so far. these are not for mpg improvement. I will be upgrading torq conv.,clutches, and valve body in the future as well as possibly LSD. I Have a post looking for injector/Maf info..help

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I am sorry I didn't get here before but yes, the PZEV has upgraded clutches in the tranny, nothing more. If you were to upgrade to those you should have no problems with the JRSC in theory. I went through 1 transmission and have pretty much taken another's life with just every bolt on possible, granted it was quick, it was also too much for the tranny, I've seen JRSCs on stock autos, and there were minimal problems, but they were still there, and it still, in the long run killed the tranny. NOW, if you were to add a cooler, and a REALLY efficient one at that, in front of the radiator and possibly keep the stock one, and add a filter and tranny temp guage and keep an eye on it at all times, and baby the car around shifts and ESPECIALLY in 3rd gear, then you might be able to do it, on a 100% stock car. But I wouldnt put money on it, considering how both of mine have died, and on top of that I've heard of countless others dying including Kevin's car, which had several bolt ons with his JRSC, that was formerly on Joey's car, which was also an auto, and had very few problems, but had them none the less.....he babied the car, though.

In all, with the experience I've had with the car, I wouldnt do it without ALOT of safeguarding on the transmission, and at that point you may as well go with a nice turbo kit, since you'll have the holding power to go for something along those lines, and you can have AC3 kits for about what a JRSC goes for these days

just my .02

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kevin's car, which had several bolt ons with his JRSC, that was formerly on Joey's car, which was also an auto, and had very few problems, but had them none the less.....he babied the car, though.
NOw you saying i babied the car....no i wasnt able to drive it 7 days a week...only on weekends and a few days during the week at night...As far as issues mike..None with the auto...it was with the N20 5o shot i had hella of a lot problems..

to the guy that was getting one... Dont its great in 5 speeds. but i would find a low boost turbomayve 2-4psi
kit to go with or get a tranny rebuild done to handle at least 250 hp..then go with the jrsc with n20 or a mid-high boost turbo kit..

·
Registered
619 Posts
4dr-- hey finalley back at you RE: JRSC/auto install. The car runs GREAT. It's almost as fast as my SVT. Steady pull, shifts crisp. Low end improved greatly. Even at interstate speeds acceleration is steady and strong. by playing w/the O/D button you can manipulate different shift stratigies. It's only been a couple of days since install and I can't speak on long term longevity of trans, but it feels well mated to the JR unit like they belong together. I'm sure that, being a mechanical device, if I overuse and abuse it something will break. It really is a nitenday diff....Who disguised as SleeprZ, Fights the never ending battle with Rice, VTEC, and the Imported way!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
finally -- what upgrade exactly did you put into the atx? Did you go the pzev route, and if so, exactly what did you upgrade? Clutches only? The whole tranny?

Could you provide part numbers and what you paid; if possible that would be very helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
619 Posts
JeffN- Iwas referring to the JRSC W/stock transthat I was doing.I haven't done any mods on the Trans yet.My car only has 5k on it. It better hold up.. But when I do it will most likly be with www.LentechAutomatics.com, have you been to the site? Pretty impressive. There's a couple more I've found..levelten.com and performanceautomatic.com. Let me know what you think..

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
kevin (toolebox) had to replace his tranny at least once or twice. Wait for him to post. Cormitheus also got his rebuilt (alhough i don't believe his actually failed)

·
Registered
619 Posts
B-O-B Hey do you think any stick shifts out there had to replace any clutches?? Or throwout bearings??

·
Registered
702 Posts
finally -- yes, I am leaning toward Lentech over Performance Automatic. I called and talked with both, and the Lentech guy seemed much more knowledgeable. Unfortunately, the Lentech system is not out yet (except for Tom's car
) and it will likely be fall before they releae and that is assuming no glitches (there are always glitches IMHO).

I really wish I knew whether a completely new tranny was really necessary though. It seems that simply upgrading clutches to the PZEV gets us up to 150lbs of torque; a complete overhaul with PA's kit (or Lentech's overhaul kit when it comes out) should do even better. Probably would also want higher performance valve body.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts