Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the JRSC weighs 50lb. How much does it weigh? The reason I’m asking is because I’m looking to get more power but I’d like to keep the handling as stock and neutral for the most part. Great ride and performance handling already get stellar reviews from this car and would like to keep that. Having said that, power improvements is something I’m looking toward without compromising this already excellent setup.

All of you that have the JRSC, How does the car handle now? Anyone pushing the car hard and finding the handling is still in good order, or has it become loose in the back with the increased forward weight?

I just wanted to discuss the possible effects, if any, in adding the JRSC and what can be done to compensate, if needed. I’d rather not mess with a good thing but the least amount of suspension work to retain the stock feel and capabilities is my aim.

The first thing I thought of is a larger diameter rear sway bar, after reading some good stuff in the suspension forum.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome as the homework period is underway before getting into FI next spring.

I think this might apply to other FI other than the JRSC so anything relevant is open.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Went to a track day yesterday. My first one. I have Intrax springs and BFG G-force T/A tires and a JRSC. The JRSC was shipped as 50lbs. All the weight is on the back of the engine which would put it at the centreline of the wheels. I found that the car was very neutral. I overcooked it into one or two corners and the car still behaved quite well. Under braking the car also felt very stable. The highest speed I started braking from was around 170 kph into a right hander while trail braking a little. No over steer at all. the car just was totally predictable. I did not track drive it before the JRSC so I can't tell if there was a difference.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Well, to compensate for increased oversteer the last thing you'd want to do is increase the rear sway bar as that increases oversteering tendencies.

An easy way to offset this seems like it would be to just swap out the stock battery with a smaller dry cell, like a Hawker Genesis/Dynabatt. That will drop 40 lbs off the front right there and literally brings you back to a stock weight distribution.

Otherwise I don't really think that an additional 50 lbs of weight, especially where it is, is going to make a huge difference.

DanamaxSVT w/ his JRSC, has done a couple track days out here in SoCal with the rest of us, he's still on stock suspension and tires, and still seems to handle incredibly well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, to compensate for increased oversteer the last thing you'd want to do is increase the rear sway bar as that increases oversteering tendencies.
Must have got that one backwards

An easy way to offset this seems like it would be to just swap out the stock battery with a smaller dry cell, like a Hawker Genesis/Dynabatt. That will drop 40 lbs off the front right there and literally brings you back to a stock weight distribution.
Never thought a battery swap would save that much weight

Good idea Slick

·
Registered
19 Posts
what kind of heat was this in? i was considering it, but was concerned on whether or not it would be safe on track days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
what kind of heat was this in? i was considering it, but was concerned on whether or not it would be safe on track days.
Heat????? Yes I had the heat on..... It was around 6-10 deg C. (43-50 F)

·
Registered
764 Posts
No issues with handling! The only issue I have is that the top drivers in our group are running coilovers and R-compounds. I'm pretty sure I'm running at the limits of my stock suspension's capabilities ( original Conti's too! ). These limits are more than most owners will ever reach.

I do notice that driving at these high limits is a little more physical for me than the others ( body lean, 4 wheel drift etc. ), but that has nothing to do with the JRSC...it has to do with well sorted out $suspension$ and $tire$ combo's more compatible with high limit track use. My supercharger helps me make up for any of my apex indescretions ( stupid mistakes ) even in 100 degree heat!!

Bottom line...If your racing at the ragged edge on a track, get coilovers and proper tires. Otherwise the JRSC SVT Focus is awesome bone stock!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Heat????? Yes I had the heat on..... It was around 6-10 deg C. (43-50 F)
nah, i meant engine temps.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No engine temp problems. My oil temp goes up at the track but that happens to all the normally aspirated guys also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Relocate the batt. to the rear of the car if you're worried about the weight distribution. And DanamaxSVT, the fake oil temp guage shouldn't cause concern, it's a calculation byt the ECU of various engine parameters to estimate oil temp. The only time you really have to worry is if your WATER temp starts rising.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Well, we had 100* air temps (track temp probably 120+*) at this past track event and Dana made it through the entire day without any issues. And he was pushing that thing for all it was worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts