Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the jrsc w/ the big boost kit, i'm thinking of adding water/methanol injection something like snow performance, do i need tuning for that or will be fine w/ BBK tune?
thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got the jrsc w/ the big boost kit, i'm thinking of adding water/methanol injection something like snow performance, do i need tuning for that or will be fine w/ BBK tune?
thanks.
The BBK was designed to run perfect in any weather condition. Hot or cold. If you install water/methanol injection the molecules use up space that air used to use. That means a loss in airflow. Yes, you get cooling but you lose air molecules. To take advantage of cooling you must add timing to the ECU. So what you gain in timing and cooling you lose in loss of air molecules. In most cases it is an even trade. But with some experimenting I'm sure you can put a personal tune on it that will work a bit better than our "fits everyone everywhere" tune if you want to go to that much work. I don't recommend water/methanol injection unless you are in an extreme climate like the 116 degree heat that Phoenix or Las Vegas has been having. Otherwise the trade off is too close.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i need some kind of cooling because engine bay temps are getting extreme in hot weather (i am in england, UK) and theres a noticeable loss of power in hot weather compared to cold. so are you saying i shouldnt bother with water injection? i've got bonnet vents at the sides, should i get a scoop above the supercharger? and what about a small shot of nitrous for cooling, will that be a trade-off similar to the water injection you are describing?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was just thinking of maybe an easy improvement, the car is runing great as is, but since it does get verry hot in florida I just wanted to make it better, but i don't want to mess w/ the tune right now, the car runs too good!

what about a small shot of nitrous for cooling
Thought about that too, like 25shot dry before the maf, would that be ok without changing the tune?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah I was just thinking of maybe an easy improvement, the car is runing great as is, but since it does get verry hot in florida I just wanted to make it better, but i don't want to mess w/ the tune right now, the car runs too good!

what about a small shot of nitrous for cooling
Thought about that too, like 25shot dry before the maf, would that be ok without changing the tune?
One of the biggest problems with hot weather in a Focus is the radiator. I've never seen such high operating temperatures and radical timing retards in any Honda product I've worked on. The Focus just always seems to be in the 225-235+ operating temperature range. If you look in one of the other posts Welding Rod has some very informative information about his cooling system. Plus he has documented how well a Fluidyne radiator with a cooler thermostat keeps the timing from being retarded in hot weather.

I've not done a NOS shot on top of the BBK. It would stand to reason that some amount of tune might be required. The problem is that NOS is a temporary fix to a 24/7 heat problem. If you are just going racing I'd say a 25 shot with some 100 octane race gas would be fine. But not as a daily fix. You would be at the NOS filling station daily. I would seriously consider a better radiator and thermostat.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again oscar, this is a great kit and i don't wanna mess it up, I will look into the radiator and thermostat, that didn't cross my mind b4

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are just going racing I'd say a 25 shot with some 100 octane race gas would be fine.
say, i do that for track only would my internals be allright w/ the hp/tq gained?

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Another thing (that we almost did when we had Spongebob) is to get a reverse-cowl hood, or vent your stock one (with something like you see on Carbon Trix's website). Airforcefocus had a vented hood on The Flea (his old built N/A car) and he remarked to me how much better the car ran, most likely due to the lower underhood temps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you are just going racing I'd say a 25 shot with some 100 octane race gas would be fine.
say, i do that for track only would my internals be allright w/ the hp/tq gained?
If you are only adding 25hp the internals should be fine. Especially if you run good race gas. The slower burn time of race gas will keep the car from detonating.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like there are a few things I can do for cooling without changing the tune
thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll think that's my next mod, carbon fiber hood w/ scoop, and i'll wrap the header too, i'll take it from there, i think i'll still do 25 or 35 shot of nitros for track days

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'll think that's my next mod, carbon fiber hood w/ scoop, and i'll wrap the header too, i'll take it from there, i think i'll still do 25 or 35 shot of nitros for track days
Don't wrap the header unless you plan on replacing it on a regualar basis. When you wrap the header you take away the steel tubing's ability to dissipate heat. This in time will deteriorate the tubing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't wrap the header unless you plan on replacing it on a regualar basis. When you wrap the header you take away the steel tubing's ability to dissipate heat. This in time will deteriorate the tubing.
not planing on replacing the header, thanks for the heads up!

·
Banned
926 Posts
Isnt a hood scope on a C/F hood kinda pointless since C/F have excellent heat tranfer properties or some?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Isnt a hood scope on a C/F hood kinda pointless since C/F have excellent heat tranfer properties or some?
The idea behind a vented hood is to help the heat escape before it can saturate the surrounding parts. This in turn helps the radiator flow more air across it's fins. All of it helps the engine run cooler in our summer climates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts