Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the JRSC installed on my SVTF...well...one question:

On cold start until it's warmed up it's a bit 'jerky'. After I leave it sitting over night, start it up, and take off, when I get up to around 3-4K rpm it's like I hit a brick wall - the engine feels like it's being held back...but after a min or two and it's warm it's fine.

Well...a buddy was following me yesterday and during this period I just barrelled through that "wall" and kicked out black smoke from the tailpipe.

Normal? Running rich? Is it because of this weird fuel system that just doubles up the injectors?

Anyway...it does NOT do it once it's been warmed up.

Thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Smoke is never a good thing.. black is usually heavy carbon build up.. but since this is a new car... oil burnoff...
some kind of coating inside the jackson burning off..
most likley this is a bad thing....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Black smoke is usually an indication of too much fuel or not enough air. Check the air filter first, might be really dirty.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If the car is still in warm up mode, doesn't it run higher fuel pressure to compensate, or something to that nature?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Yes, black smoke is fuel. After a cold start and during the warm up period it runs a rich mixture very similar to that of a choke system on a carb engine. But yours sounds like it's running somewhat richer than it should be and may need to be recalibrated. How this is done I haven't a clue. The stumbling your getting is prolly from the plugs getting wet from the excessive fuel and for the most part once it clears up it runs fine. But at some point this saturation will most likely cause plug fouling to the point that it won't burn off causing misfiring. I don't know what kind of fuel control the JRSC has for the SVT, but the one for the Ztec is a black box that hooks up to the fuel control and MAF. It does something magical and richens up the mixture when needed etc. If the SVT has the same basic setup then Jackson may need to recalibrate the box.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yup, you're too rich, and it's misfiring. Dunno how to fix that black box though. I'd call JR.

·
Registered
734 Posts
the svtf retards timing at warm-up to heat the cat faster for emissions, maybe has somethin to do with it?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That's not a JRSC thing, its an SVT thing. They all do this, you just need to let it warm up a bit. Supposedly, this should be fix in this next ECU update.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
how long have you had the JRSC on? And are these the same plugs as stock? try replacing the plugs. I am not sure about the JRSC, but check into the proper gap for it. I know for higher boost applications you should close the gap a bit and even run a colder plug.

I think someone had a similar issue and replacing the plugs cleared up the problem. They may already be fouled. I know you said when it is warmed up itruns fine...plugs are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
That's not a JRSC thing, its an SVT thing. They all do this, you just need to let it warm up a bit. Supposedly, this should be fix in this next ECU update.
Are you serious? Did the Ford Calibrators really screw it up that bad? That's inexcusable!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The plugs shouldn't have to be replaced, but you never know...yeah, I'd go one step colder if I did go that route.

Also, it looks like it still puffs out a bit of black when warm as well...not a big cloud, but a bit.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Are you serious? Did the Ford Calibrators really screw it up that bad? That's inexcusable!
Yup. Until mine's warmed up it sounds like I have the lumpest race cam you've ever heard in it. Fortunately it only takes about 60-120 seconds to warm up, but still, it is quite a "unique" experience.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Wow. Well, if any Ford Powertrain Calibration Supervisors are reading this, contact me! I'm looking for a new postion, and managed to get a Turbocharged Zetec to achieve 26mpg, with no overfueling on startup!

Damn man... that's just so pathetic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had mine installed by Jackson Racing Service, and one of the things they mentioned was to "go easy" on it for the first couple miles from a cold start. I also noticed that its really jumpy until I warm it up (moreso than normally with a non-JRSC SVTF). My theory is its a combo on the SVTF cold starting jumpiness and the JRSC boost chip trying to compensate for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts