Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im soon going to purchase some kind of FI for my SVT, and i can't decide between a JRSC or Focus-power stage 1 turbo kit. I also have a couple of questions, which is faster and which will be the most fun to drive?

Any other input would be appreciated to.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
OK I'll get the argument started.... TURBO

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
question is...how much power do you want?

once you figure that out, go from there

either way, you'll have a lot of fun

oh, and whatever you do, get good tuning

Laz

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If you dont have to deal with emmissions testing a turbo is far more upgradable than a JRSC.

With the stage 1 turbo you can make more power than the JRSC, and when time comes you can add the intercooler and get ALOT more power out of it, with proper tuning of course.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Turbo...The torque is AWESOME man. Plus like orange said, 100% upgradable.

Scott

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
blower

turbo

all depends on what you want todo, and your budget.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Im soon going to purchase some kind of FI for my SVT, and i can't decide between a JRSC or Focus-power stage 1 turbo kit. I also have a couple of questions, which is faster and which will be the most fun to drive?
Between those two kits, I'd choose the turbo every time.
The turbo will make more horsepower.
The turbo will make more torque.
Because of the above two, it will be more fun to drive in any situation.
The turbo has the ability to have an intercooler added.

Any other input would be appreciated to.
Ignore the JRSC 'black' box tune(if it even still comes with it) in your cost calculations and assume that you'll have to get real tuning like SCT or Diablo for either kit. Assume that the cost of tuning each kit will be roughly the same. For tuning, assume an 'on dyno' tune as the preferred method with mailorder being a secondary option.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
JRSC- Reliable, turn key, install it and forget it

Turbo- Not to reliable, nice power though

I like my JRSC, fun little kit. Powerworks would be the way to go but the price is a little to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think the JRSC sucks ass... for 3 thousand dollars you get maybe 60 HP if that... go Turbo.. about the same price and the possibilites are endless

but thats me

·
Banned
926 Posts
Really depends on what you want to do. Me, being poor, found the cheapest JSRC kit I can find. Honestly if I had the money I would gone Powerworks, simply because it's Cosworth man! COSWORTH!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

I like my JRSC, fun little kit. Powerworks would be the way to go but the price is a little to rich for my blood.

Please elaborate on the quote "turbo- Not reliable, nice power though"

I'm confused as to why you say turbo isn't reliable??

Scott

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yep. Install it and you forget you even did anything.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Yep. Install it and you forget you even did anything.
thats priceless

oh yea and just get the turbo kit so when u buy the JRSC u wont be mad for cheating your car out of the power and fun it could have had

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Please elaborate on the quote "turbo- Not reliable, nice power though"

I'm confused as to why you say turbo isn't reliable??

Scott

LOL here we go again like always....

This was just from my observations but when ever you install a turbo on a focus it just doesn’t seems to mix. There is always a laundry list of problems. Maybe not at first but that’s they way it seems. To much hassle for me. For a daily driver ill take my weak JRSC kit.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I've been open tracking a turbo charged car for 3 years. Other than a few niggly little issues that occured because it's a custom setup, I've never had any problems.

The state it's in now, it's dead nuts reliable. Beaded ends on all the intercooler pipes. Silicone couplers with T band clamps. No oiling system worries...

Yes, some turbos have issues. I feel it's because a turbo is easier to install on an engine than a supercharger. Therefore, any hack can do it, and you end up with problems. A supercharger has to be engineered on (new intake manifold, etc) so the kits tend to be better thought out.

But a good turbo setup is just as reliable as a supercharger.

IF NOT MORE SO. Because, a turbo doesn't overheat if used on track.

·
Registered
139 Posts
SuperSlick,

Honestly dude do some research here. I dont post here much either but I do like to read and learn here. I see you have only 3 posts. Do some research on your own and I'm not trying to sound preachy.

If you're going to ask a question like this you're going to have to include information like how much you want to spend, how much power you're looking for, where you are located (emissions).

What you're going to get here asking a question like this is TURBO ALL THE WAY!!! JSRC sucks! Maybe that's right, I dont know, I dont have FI. But what happens is that the folks with enough money, and lack of emissions requirements to go with turbo will jump on and sound off about thier turbo. I bet they are totally correct and the turbo is totally amazing but I've never been in one but would love a ride some day. It will also, purely performance wise, probably beat a car with JSRC so some folks with JSRC will feel they will be bashed for one thing or another and not sound in. Folks with JSRC may also not be as hard core about performance and not post as often. I dont reall know... The thing is that the JSRC especially with the BBK IS a viable option for some folks, but you wont hear as much about it. The designer of the system also frequents these boards often with advice. He is very professional, knowledgeable and never puts down anyone elses product or choice of product.

For me, and I'm not trying to be a jackass here, having the money to go with other options, I'm probably going to go with the simplicity and cost effectiveness of the JSRC w/BBK later this year when I have time. I think it will be fun to install it myself and not looking for an EVO beater just some more pep and fun.

What I'm trying to say is do some research on your own. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here and a wealth of information on the subject in the archives here. The cool thing is that there ARE multiple options for our cars and most people seem to like what they have, whatever they choose.

Rick

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I like my JRSC esp. with the 3" pully and 5.7" lite crank pulley and I havent really gotten it tuned rt yet so I just go ez on it with the black box still. it does hit 12psi if i pop it but like they said, if you have more budget Turbo will keep you growing where Im about maxed out except for a tune.

oh and i got it new for $2499

1 - 20 of 65 Posts