Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo,
For all of those who have the JRSC, what effect does it have on your warranty. Also, what do you think of it overall? Is it really worth the money, or should I hold off and look for something different? Any input is greatly
appreciated.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I doesn't do anything to your warranty. However, if the JRSC causes your engine to fail in some matter, then the warranty will no longer cover it. But, it must be proven to cause the problem. And yes, it is worth it. The car now drives how it should have from the factory (maybe save 30 ft/lbs of torque
)

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can pretty much kiss the powertrain warranty good bye if you do it.

There is not much they can't blame on bolting on 60+ hp.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You can pretty much kiss the powertrain warranty good bye if you do it.

There is not much they can't blame on bolting on 60+ hp.
That is absolutely not true. If the shop and mechanics are good at all, they will not shoot down your warranty unless it is obvious.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Seriously. Do you think that you could drive into a Ford dealership and claim warranty work on the drivetrain with a after market SUPERCHARGER. It may happen with as you put it "good mechanic". But, highly unlikely to ever happen. Maybe if the person with the s/c installed was very knowledgeable about cars in general, but the average joe blow would never be able to pull it off. I know this is not right in most cases, but it would be damn easy for any Ford dealer to point the finger at the s/c...I would if I worked there because more often than not it would be due to the install. I just dont see it happening, not after getting crap for having an aftermarket exhaust system. I could only imagine what they would say to me if they popped the hood and saw a s/c sitting there. I am also in compliance with "kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye" statement. I dont plan on trying to get any warranty work done on my car after installing my JRSC. I know the law states they have to prove the s/c caused the problem, but come on with it being linked to almost everything in the engine by way of the belt how could they not blame it on the s/c, and prove it. Just my opinion I am curious to hear other thoughts and opinions on this subject, I would really like to change my mind about this, but I just cant see this happening at a Ford dealer near me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seriously. Do you think that you could drive into a Ford dealership and claim warranty work on the drivetrain with a after market SUPERCHARGER. It may happen with as you put it "good mechanic". But, highly unlikely to ever happen. Maybe if the person with the s/c installed was very knowledgeable about cars in general, but the average joe blow would never be able to pull it off. I know this is not right in most cases, but it would be damn easy for any Ford dealer to point the finger at the s/c...I would if I worked there because more often than not it would be due to the install. I just dont see it happening, not after getting crap for having an aftermarket exhaust system. I could only imagine what they would say to me if they popped the hood and saw a s/c sitting there. I am also in compliance with "kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye" statement. I dont plan on trying to get any warranty work done on my car after installing my JRSC. I know the law states they have to prove the s/c caused the problem, but come on with it being linked to almost everything in the engine by way of the belt how could they not blame it on the s/c, and prove it. Just my opinion I am curious to hear other thoughts and opinions on this subject, I would really like to change my mind about this, but I just cant see this happening at a Ford dealer near me.

I don't think that's true. You can order a JRSC from the parts department. Can they sell parts that void the warrenty?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks they can pull it off. Maybe one in a million but definately not large scale.

Hell, they don't even like to fix stuff when it is %100 stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks they can pull it off. Maybe one in a million but definately not large scale.
I very much agree. Besides, some folks have this backwards. Ford doesn't have to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem, the owner would have to prove that it didn't. How deep are your pockets in arguing your position in court? I hear Ford's pockets are pretty deep.

If you are wise, you will write off your powertrain warranty when you bolt on that supercharger. You migth be one in a hundred to find a dealer willing to go along with your warranty claim...but don't expect it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I don't think that's true. You can order a JRSC from the parts department. Can they sell parts that void the warrenty?

[/QUOTE]
I think they would sell you anything and everything they can make money off of, and they really dont give a flying flip if it will void your warranty or not. They can sell you an air filter, then for some reason you install it wrong and mess up your mass air or somehting. Then will it still be covered under warranty cause they sold it to you? No, it will not be covered under warranty because that part you installed wrong messed up your engine. See what I mean? You could argue that assume the JRSC is not installed wrong. Well, if you install it correctly then blow your exhaust header off because of too much air coming in...i know bad example...they will not cover it because you had a device that changed up a bunch of different variables on the engine, no matter where you got it from. Im just saying wether it is right or wrong I would bet that just about every average person (which is about 90 percent of the people who have this and every other car) will be denied warranty on any power train issue after the install of the JRSC. I wish it were different, but it is not.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Maybe your best bet is to go to the dealer in question and ask them if you ordered the s/c from them and had them install it, would it be under warranty.
I believe they would honor it under those conditions, but you would pay out your ass going that route.
I have seen a JRSC ZX3 that my dealer built which had a full warranty on it. That car also had a Magnaflow catback, short shifter and 17" wheels. But it was $23,000

again, if they install it, they cover it, if they don't...good luck

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Maybe your best bet is to go to the dealer in question and ask them if you ordered the s/c from them and had them install it, would it be under warranty.
I believe they would honor it under those conditions, but you would pay out your ass going that route.
I have seen a JRSC ZX3 that my dealer built which had a full warranty on it. That car also had a Magnaflow catback, short shifter and 17" wheels. But it was $23,000

again, if they install it, they cover it, if they don't...good luck
I like this idea. My dealer kind of told me something similar to this at the time of purchase. They said that if I got any aftermarket products I better have them install, or I would probably get a lot of trouble with my warranty. As you said you would pay out the ying yang for the install, and also for the parts if you got it from them. Just kind of annoying when you know you could do it yourself, and do just as good as them, if not better than them. Instead you have to pay outrages prices for labor and parts, and the thing is they eat it up cause they know people will be in fear of losing the warranty if they dont do it their way. I told the guy point blank that I know the laws about them having to prove (or us however you want to put it) the products caused the defect and what not. He told me,"sounds like you got it all figured out." I really dislike dealers!!
That being said, I still would not try and get a powertrain issue covered with a JRSC, unless the above was done. Nice idea, but an expensive one.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I looked in to this back in the spring, and what I found was that if a Ford racing parts dealer installed the SC it would be covered.

The dealer that would do the install informed me that I should also talk to my local serves manger to clear it with him. But they didn’t think there would be too much of a problem.

My suggestion is if your thinking of doing it talk to the dealer, see what they have to say. From what I have seen is dealers that Sponsor SVTOA Chapters seem more willing to work with you. Besides if you join their chapter they may give you a discount on parts and labor. You can call or email Jackson I think they will tell you the same thing.

But at the same time don’t think your going to go the track every weekend and kick the hell out of it, and expect then to replace clutches and whatever else you brake.

I would have one myself but I put the money in my suspension.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I really only mentioned this because those people who have '03 SVTs have a 100,000 mile warranty and it would make more sense for those guys since there cars are newer with less miles and will be under warranty much longer than those of us with '02s.
I'm at 27,000 miles and counting, so I don't think it will make a whole lot of diffrance at this point, but if I had an '03, with 10,000, I would consider having the dealer do the install.
Maybe not the cheapest way to go, but an alternative none the less

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input everyone
. I asked this question because I'll be getting a brand new Competition Orange SVTF within a week or so to replace the lemon SVTF that I'm currently driving. Ford finally saw that my car had been in the shop way too often for way too many problems (even for a SVTF... for example, the throttle stuck open on the highway at 75mph
) and they agreed to take the car back and transfer my loan onto a new one with better financing and a new warranty. So, my faith in Ford is restored and I'm picking up my plans of modifying my car. Once I get the new one I'll ask the dealer about the JRSC, but chances are I'll end up getting one anyway

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well they could simply point out that the trans was built to hold X torque and by modifying it you have Y torque. Bye bye warranty.

Believe me. I wish it would work. I would have a JRSC tomorrow. But it is not happening. Call SVT and ask them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well they could simply point out that the trans was built to hold X torque and by modifying it you have Y torque. Bye bye warranty.

Believe me. I wish it would work. I would have a JRSC tomorrow. But it is not happening. Call SVT and ask them.
Don't call SVT. At the end of the day they work for Ford and should stick to the company line, correct or not. That would be the half truths that Ford had in the most recent SVTOA magazine.

They have to prove that it was the aftermarket part that caused the failure. You shatter the flywheel or break 2nd gear? Sure, it's reasonable to say it was the SC and disallow. Bust a piston or a rod? Same thing. But if it floats a valve and the engine goes? No way an SC can cause that to happen and an arbitrator or a court will not let them out of warranty. Your cat plugs up and takes the engine out? There may be some possible way the SC could be implicated in that - but Ford would have a large sales job trying to prove it. And that's it - they have to prove it.

IF you put on a SC will Ford *try* to void any and all power train warranty? Absolutely yes. Will they get away with it? Only if you roll over and let them. They would probably try to tell you that the CD player's warranty was voided by the SC if you let them...

·
Registered
582 Posts
It would be small claims court. A big company has no special advantage there and costs are low. For $750 they may not even show up and you win by default. $22 and a half day of your time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts