Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang:

Everyone else seems to brag about the performance aspects of the JRSC, but I'm actually curious as to what drivability problems with our SVTF's can be remidied by its installation? In short, does the JRSC's installation solve:

1) The RLA2/RLA6 high cold start idle issues?

2) Stalling? (I don't have this issue.)

3) <I've withdrawn the question, relavance.>

4) That lovely burning oil smell after a hard drive? (My theory being that the plastic IM does not seal all that well.)

5) Engine smoothness? (Does it improve this at all?)

6) Anything else I forgot to mention?

I've looked at the JRSC's installation guide, and it seems that with the comprehensive nature of the design of the new supercharger and intake manifold, a great many problems with vaccum and leaks are avoided. The only drawback, if any, is that I am not sure that the JRSC doesn't over stress our Getrag's in terms of power/torque. Still, it seems as if it does avoid a great deal of the issues I've seen folks have on here vis-a-vis manifold leaks, stalling, and drivability. Am I correct in this assumption?

·
Registered
643 Posts
#1.. No changes to the ECU so answer is no.

#2 See number 1

#3 What??

#4 You got an oil leak... Nothing to do with JRSC.

#5 Exactly the same... More power so you'll be revving higher so smoother??? I guess.

#6 Drop in wallet size due to costly tickets and extra fuel because you'll always be driving around!

Power delivery is smooth. You probably are not going to hurt the tranny unless you like to power shift.... But then you're gonna hurt it without a JRSC also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. Definite complete improvement. The new manifold does not leak. In my actual experience I had high cold start idle. Since JRSC cold start rpms are correct. Also revs would not come down in a normal fashion after letting up on throttle, kind of hanging. Now rpms drop in normal fashion.

2. Hot weather intermitent stalling with and without air was a problem before JRSC. Now low end pull is definately better.

3. What?

4. No oil smell.

5. Same

Comment - basically the stock intake is an intermittent leaker, aand the cars driveability is greatly increased by taking the POS off.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Two things so far...

1. The surge is MORE pronounced - hopefully a new program from SVT will help fix this.

2. I have stalled 3 times with the JRSC installed coasting in neutral to a stop. Before it would drop RPM low and flash the battery light, but three times now it has completely killed my engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gang:

Everyone else seems to brag about the performance aspects of the JRSC, but I'm actually curious as to what drivability problems with our SVTF's can be remidied by its installation? In short, does the JRSC's installation solve:

Huh, no issues before or after here!

I think stumbling is more the correct terminology. All is well unti 4000 + rpm unless the foot is to the floor. If I'm just driving along, between 4-5k it farts, stumbles and sputters until I mash it. Jackson Racing has been NO help in this matter!
3) <I've withdrawn the question, relavance.>

4) That lovely burning oil smell after a hard drive? (My theory being that the plastic IM does not seal all that well.)
No issues here.
Ya, it's smooth alright.

I've looked at the JRSC's installation guide, and it seems that with the comprehensive nature of the design of the new supercharger and intake manifold, a great many problems with vaccum and leaks are avoided. The only drawback, if any, is that I am not sure that the JRSC doesn't over stress our Getrag's in terms of power/torque. Still, it seems as if it does avoid a great deal of the issues I've seen folks have on here vis-a-vis manifold leaks, stalling, and drivability. Am I correct in this assumption?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It may serve you some good to tell us what mods you have as well. The oil smell may very well be oil leaking into a CAI as has been posted here on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No mods whatsoever, my car is 100% stock.

FWIW: what is the chance that a new and/or aftermarket DSI manifold, (preferrably out of metal) will be designed by Ford or some other aftermarket company?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Tom is working on an intake mani made of aluminun (or something). I think it is done, and he is testing it now. Pretty sure that is the only available aftermarket mani. Ford does have a new design, and if yours fails then they replace it with the new design, and new clamps.

·
Registered
269 Posts

#1: No high idle problems at all since RLA6 was put in (was done before JRSC installed)
#2: No stalling at all, before or after JRSC.
#5: It bucks a bit now during normal driving, but I think that's the boost controller trying to predict whether you are asking for it or not.
#6: Nope. Just had the darn thing installed and its been a blast! Tons or torque around 3k!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep me posted on this aftermarket aluminum IM, sounds like it might be a good option for those of us who have the plastic but are not interested in the JRSC for whatever reason.

I sort of figured that if the stock IM was a leaker, someone would build a better one w/o the drawbacks of the original. Beancounters be damned!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Before I knew I was going to get the JRSC, I was looking for a good intake manifold to replace the plastic pos. Not sure if Tom has given a time frame for when it will be ready to sell, but if you go to focus-power.com you can contact tom and see what he is cooking up. I wont be watching it too closely any more since the JRSC is coming to me in nov or dec, but if I do happen to hear something I will be sure and post. But, I bet when tom has it out he will be sure and let us know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts