Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking since last year and thought about doing a judging sheet for 2012 over the spur of the moment decisions we did for the awards in 2011.

These categories would work great if we had a judging scorecard for them.

- Best 00-04 Sedan
- Best 00-04 Hatch
- Best 00-07 Wagon
- Best 02-04 SVT
- Best 05-07 Sedan
- Best 05-07 Hatch
- Best 08-11 Sedan/Coupe
- Best 2012+ All
- Best in Engine Bay
- Best in Paint
- Best in Exterior
- Best in Interior
- Best in Wheels
- Best in Audio/ICE
- Best Fiesta
- Best Non-Focus/Fiesta
- Best Beater Focus
- Best Conversion (SVT, ST170, Etc...)
- Best RS Focus Conversion

And these would be more of a defined winner, or group agreement over a scorecard.

- Best in Race Prepped
- Best in Boost
- Best in Stance
- Lowest Focus
- Best Theme
- Game Changer Award
- Focus Rising Legacy Award
- Longest Distance
- Sponsor/Affiliate/Partner Picks

With tons of cars at the show and cars from the same class possibly parked far from each other, having a scorecard would lead to more fair judging and easier calculations. The judges would have a sheet for each car and when judging the car they would just write in which major class the car belongs (ex: SVT, 05-07 Hatch, etc). At the end all the scores are tallied and then the sheets are separated by each class to find the winner. The winners of the smaller categories like best interior would just come from the highest score from that category on the scorecards.

My proposed scorecard would be close to this, which is mostly taken from the scorecard from Waterfest:

Exterior Quality - 15 points
What is the quality of the bodywork and paint? If the bodywork has been altered, has it been done well? Is the finish just shiny or deep and lustrous? Is the paint smooth or orange peeled? Any overspray, runs, ripples, etc.? Dents? Chips? Are bodykit seams smooth and straight? All panels aligned? Any doors sagging? Bumpers on straight? Glass squeaky clean? All cars should have a perfect cleaning and waxing.

Interior Quality - 15 points
Is everything in good condition or truly excellent? Are the seats perfect and clean or ripped and dirty? Is the headliner intact and tight or drooping and baggy? Are the carpets clean and new looking or dirty and worn? Have modifications, such as gauges or aftermarket seats, been hacked in, or are they professional looking? Are the sun visors in good shape? Door panels? Every piece of the interior should be perfectly clean and prepared; there should be no dirt under the floor mats or junk under the seats. Look at the trunk or hatch. It should be prepared to the same perfect state as the interior.

Mechanical/Engine Quality - 10 points
Does everything look neat and well put together? Is the quality of the workmanship good or great? Are there special features that deserve points? Are the systems securely mounted? Do the systems work together harmoniously, i.e. do they appear to flow into one another or are they just shoved somewhere? Is the exhaust system solid, or about to fall off? Are there any fluid leaks? Is the engine compartment perfectly clean and detailed?

Suspension Quality - 15 points
What is the extent of modifications to the suspension, and are they well done? Front and rear stress bars? Camber plates? Special springs and shocks? Coilovers? Special bushings? Anti-roll (sway) bars? Are the brake calipers/rotors/drums in great shape? If there was a brake modification was it well done?

Wheels/Tires/Stance - 15 points
Do the wheels and tires fit the overall look/theme of the car? Does the wheel and tire matchup fit the stance of the vehicle. Are the wheels coated in brake dust? Is the finish of the wheels perfect or are the wheels scuffed? Do the tires shine or are they scuffed and dirty?

Cleanliness - 10 points
Every part of the car from front to back and top to bottom should be clean. Things that should be shiny should shine. Things that should be polished should be polished. This includes the trunk or hatch; the glove box, the grille, the doorsills, and under the floor mats. No fabric or leather should show stains of any kind.

Overall Concept And Integration - 10 points
This is a subjective category that needs some thought. The point here is the total quality of the car in all of the categories above, and how well everything hangs together. A million-dollar paint job with a poor interior does not score high. Full engine work, but no suspension work should not score highly. Age consideration should be factored into scoring. A brand new pristine car with few miles might score lower than a 10 year old car with over 100K miles and a few blemishes.

Display/Theme - 10 points
You should provide a display documenting the car, showing special systems, recording the work in progress, dressing up the display area, etc. Displays can be entertaining, informative, or both. This is a good place to pick up what may be a crucial number of points. No display, no points.

100 points total. 5 judges for the event, so a total score of 500 for each car.

Thoughts?

·
King wheel-whore. BOW before me!
4,743 Posts
My only concern is the amount of cars needing to be judged and doing scoring may take up a good chunk of time.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know time is an issue, and it will take some time to do the judging right, but I feel that people would appreciate that judging more than last year. If Waterfest can use a system similar to that and get the judging done, then we can too.

If time is a real concern, then we can do 6 judges and split them up into 2 or 3 teams to judge different classes. That way we don't have only one person judging a car and the main classes have the same judges for fairness.

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
I think it'd be a good idea. It'll give people more of a reason to actually clean their cars, and they'll know what they're being judged on.

And it'll be less of a subjective thing, wanting to give certain people an award because they always get one or one person thinks someone deserves something won't happen. I know Joe and I were pretty much disregarded last year during the "judging" and it was annoying having been asked to judge then being ignored bc certain people wanted other certain people to win something. If we had had a scoresheet that we all filled out together, it would have been a much more rounded judging and the results would be based on total numbers, not what one person thinks should happen.

·
4,743 Posts
Jason, I want to add something like how H2Oi has Top Dawg and Autorama has the Great 8 this year. Been thinking about this a bit recently

I'd like to see the Focus Rising Finest 5. The best of the best all around, the best out there during the event weekend. Winning car sets a standard for next year's event. Big ass trophy for the winner, other 4 picked get a large trophy too just not as big but big. This would be a selected group, pre-selected prior to the event or the day before the showfield day. Each car selected would have a plaque signifying their car on the Saturday Showfield stating they are part of the group for all to know. These owners would still have the chance at the other awards but they'd also been in that selected group and I'd like to see their cars displayed at the Hotel during the awards/BBQ as well with the Focus Rising Finest Pick given out then. I'd like to also get the winner a stitched polo too signifying their win.

I think it would really get folks to step up their game and I already have a few names floating in my head for this year on who'd hit said elite group.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
Well, I'll have to bring the yellow car to have a shot at that! Jeremy sets the bar pretty high for that, his car is so clean... I'm not sure my car can even get that clean!

Judging score cards are the right way to do it. Organizes it, makes winners clear.

I'd like to see an OEM+ award, to encourage the use of factory parts instead of cheaply made, ill fitting aftermarket garbage.

I'd like to see the Stance judging done on flat pavement... Sitting on grass does no justice for how agressive ones stance is. I know that might be hard to pull, but it something to think about.

I like the finest 5 idea Ken, it adds "Prestige" to the show, something to shoot for... Hell I was thinking about bringing the wagon instead of ZX3... But if you have that going I will shoot for it for sure. So that does work in getting people motivated!

·
3,345 Posts
Also, I do not like trophies... They are big, bulky, take up space in the car or at home. The plaques you had last year are perfect. Easy to pack, easy to display at home, or in a garage. Also easy to travel with them as they do not take up much room. Certificate/plaques all the way IMHO.

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
Jason, I want to add something like how H2Oi has Top Dawg and Autorama has the Great 8 this year. Been thinking about this a bit recently

I'd like to see the Focus Rising Finest 5. The best of the best all around, the best out there during the event weekend. Winning car sets a standard for next year's event. Big ass trophy for the winner, other 4 picked get a large trophy too just not as big but big. This would be a selected group, pre-selected prior to the event or the day before the showfield day. Each car selected would have a plaque signifying their car on the Saturday Showfield stating they are part of the group for all to know. These owners would still have the chance at the other awards but they'd also been in that selected group and I'd like to see their cars displayed at the Hotel during the awards/BBQ as well with the Focus Rising Finest Pick given out then. I'd like to also get the winner a stitched polo too signifying their win.

I think it would really get folks to step up their game and I already have a few names floating in my head for this year on who'd hit said elite group.
I really like that idea, but coming into the weekend with those cars picked is not the right way to do it IMO

For one, lots of cars photograph well but look beat/trashed in person. My car is one of them, 219k miles has not been nice on the paint...but it still shines up well for pics. Also, if a car comes out of left field that you didn't know existed prior to the day of the show, and the first time you ever see it is when it rolls into the showfield, they're SOL because it wasn't posted on the internet before that weekend?

I'm saying this because I know someone who has a car 120% planned out that would decimate pretty much all at FR, all he needs is to get employed and it will happen. And this car would NOT get posted on the internet, but it would drop jaws rolling in.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Josh on this one.

I shared the scoring system with Bill and he likes that idea as well. If you want to have the Focus Rising Finest Five, then let them be the 5 cars that get the overall highest score during the judging, not the ones we "think" might be worth it before.

If you want something like this to step up everyone's game, then all we need to do is announce a formal scoring system like I've proposed, and that alone will step up the game. If people think we are going in and judging based simply on "this person deserves a win because we know him", then there goes any motiviation for people to do stuff.

If we have a set score system with 5 judges, then that will help aleviate that issue.

·
4,743 Posts
I really like that idea, but coming into the weekend with those cars picked is not the right way to do it IMO

For one, lots of cars photograph well but look beat/trashed in person. My car is one of them, 219k miles has not been nice on the paint...but it still shines up well for pics. Also, if a car comes out of left field that you didn't know existed prior to the day of the show, and the first time you ever see it is when it rolls into the showfield, they're SOL because it wasn't posted on the internet before that weekend?

I'm saying this because I know someone who has a car 120% planned out that would decimate pretty much all at FR, all he needs is to get employed and it will happen. And this car would NOT get posted on the internet, but it would drop jaws rolling in.
I thought about this and I agree, it would be picked at the showfield on Saturday EARLY.

I agree with Josh on this one.

I shared the scoring system with Bill and he likes that idea as well. If you want to have the Focus Rising Finest Five, then let them be the 5 cars that get the overall highest score during the judging, not the ones we "think" might be worth it before.

If you want something like this to step up everyone's game, then all we need to do is announce a formal scoring system like I've proposed, and that alone will step up the game. If people think we are going in and judging based simply on "this person deserves a win because we know him", then there goes any motiviation for people to do stuff.

If we have a set score system with 5 judges, then that will help aleviate that issue.
Yeah it should be those that are topped ranked in points how H2Oi does it. I know 2 that would probably end up getting in the first year, Jeremy and Corey.

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
The stuff you posted about on FB....is this it?

The sooner you post this info the better, I think. Get people working! :lol:

·
4,743 Posts

·
Potato Camera Operator
8,401 Posts
As far as judging stance goes, I think we can set a day/time off of the show field for those who want a shot at the award to gather in a parking lot. From there, we can just hold a mini car show (possibly) and have the judges walk around the cars and give each a good gander. It's a really crude idea, but I think we can streamline it and come up with something good.

·
4,743 Posts
Now, I do think it would be cool to have a limbo contest for the lowest cars to see who wins. :)
See I was thinking that last night LOL! Kinda like how the Air Affair G2G at H2Oi used to be.

·
3,345 Posts
Stance has nothing to do about low, but it is everything about reverse rake or how a car sits on flat pavement. You can't necessarily tell if a car has reverse rake or if wheel gap is altered by rough terrain. That's why in my opinion car shows held in parking lots the cars look better. The menacing stance is somewhat lost on uneven terrain.

·
4,743 Posts
X2, but I'm sure we'll have an idea on the stance award by the end of Friday night by seeing cars at the show.

I spoke with the Hotel this afternoon, the low limbo contest has been approved so we can do the stance judging then too

1 - 20 of 33 Posts